Software Test Team Manager / Senior Software Testing Engineer
Job Title: Software Test Team Manager
Our client is the leading provider of product identification solutions in a wide range of industries including food, beverage, pharmaceutical, personal care, electronics, chemical, and aerospace. They are committed to helping customers deliver their operational objectives, and place them at the core of everything we do.
They are currently seeking a Software Test Team Manager to join their UK team base in Huntingdon.
Purpose of the Position:
- To manage a Software Test Team comprising a number of experienced test engineers, working on automated and manual tests primarily for Industrial Printing products which are typically embedded devices
- To be responsible for test delivery and team productivity according to project timescales and goals.
- Reporting to the Software Team Manager, providing forecasts and metrics as agreed
- To work within a mixed-discipline R&D team, assisting in the development of next-generation industrial ink-jet printing products.
- To improve the quality and predictability of software releases through detailed and comprehensive testing with a bias towards automated test development.
- To increase the overall productivity of the team, working in a fast-paced development environment, reducing time-to-market.
- Manage a small team of experienced Software Test Engineers based in UK and Russia.
- Team management responsibilities will include appraisals, recruitment, coaching and mentoring and day-to-day decisions on team activities.
- Co-responsibility for overall testing strategy with the Software Team Manager
- Identification and recommendation of new testing technologies and processes as they emerge
- Pro-actively work to increase the breadth as well as the depth of our automated testing libraries
- Produce high-quality documentation where required in support of those tests.
- Collaborate closely with Software Developers during debug efforts.
- Participate in manual testing as and when required by the business.
The role is an entry-level management position, overseeing a team of (currently) 4 experienced Software Test Engineers based primarily in the UK, with one engineer in Russia.
Adaptability & Flexibility
Whereas the company strive to plan projects to sensible timescales, it is inevitable at times that there may be a need to work unsociable hours or weekends according to urgent business needs. This is very much the exception however, not the norm.
Since the Test Team is split between UK and Russia and the business is headquartered in Chicago, the ability to travel occasionally is required.
COMPETENCIES AND QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
- HND or degree-level education, preferably in an engineering-related field.
- Proven people-management skills with a sensitive and collaborative outlook.
- Extensive experience of relevant software testing - experience with embedded devices an advantage.
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal including the ability to disseminate ideas and information in an open, crisp and coherent manner to reports, peers and management.
- Good competency with typical 'office' applications (word processors, spreadsheets etc.) and experience of online documentation tools an advantage.
- Proven track record with automated test tools. Experience with Squish an advantage.
- Tenacity, attention to detail and the motivation to consistently deliver according to agreed project plans.
- Pro-active attitude and an enthusiasm to be a team-player in a pressured but highly productive environment using Automated Testing and Agile/Lean methods.
WHY this company?
- Our client is a global organization of more than 3,200 professionals, dedicated to serving our customers through teamwork, cooperation, innovation and the continuous pursuit of excellence in all business.
- They offer a wide range of exciting career opportunities for those who seek a challenging, fast-paced, results-oriented environment where personal contributions are recognized and rewarded.
- You'll learn and become highly skilled in the powerful Business System. You'll have the opportunity to work with a premier management team that takes the professional development of company associates very seriously. You'll find that our client's broad range of products and services makes it possible for them to offer a variety of meaningful, challenging career opportunities working in their diverse business groups.
The company is an equal opportunity employer. They evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, colour, national origin, religion, gender, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please click the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for this role.