Regional Media Officer
Regional Media Officer
National Cat Centre, Haywards Heath, West Sussex
Permanent, 35 hours per week
£28,894.64 per annum plus Excellent Benefits (starting salary subject to experience)
Cats Protection is the UK’s leading feline welfare charity. We help nearly 190,000 cats and kittens through our network of over 250 volunteer-run branches and 34 adoption centres and homing centres. This role is based in our National Cat Centre in the Ashdown Forest, and has on-site a Visitor Centre, Shop, Café, Nature Walks, and our fantastic National Cat Adoption Centre. You will need your own vehicle to get here, as public transport is sadly lacking within the forest!
The main purpose of this role is to manage the proactive and reactive media coverage for Scotland and the North West of England region, to enhance and protect Cats Protection’s reputation as well as supporting media volunteers to carry out their roles.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for an experienced individual with journalistic and/or PR experience; someone who can work with our volunteer branches, shops and adoption centres in Scotland and the North West of England and help them with their publicity. Amongst other skills and experience, you must have ‘A’ Level English or equivalent and a qualification in media/journalism, preferably NCTJ, with at least five years’ experience in a press office or journalism environment. You will also need experience in training & mentoring volunteers or staff.
Although based at the National Cat Centre, the role will require travel within the relevant areas, therefore a valid UK driving licence and access to a car is required.
Microsoft Office skills are also required and you will be a confident user of social media and building celebrity relations. Our ideal candidate will have at least five years' experience in Journalism and PR and will have worked with volunteers and PR agencies. A detailed Person Spec is available as part of this application process.
What do our Regional Media Officers do?
- They find and promote local Cats Protection (CP) stories that have regional or national potential to generate greater awareness of the Charity
- Support branches, adoption centres (ACs), shops and CP departments to work with their local media to generate greater awareness of the Charity
- Effectively recruit, induct and support regional media volunteers, including organising recruitment campaigns, identifying volunteer learning and development needs and ensuring required training and support is provided
- Provide advice and support to branches, ACs and shops to enable them to recruit professional publicity volunteers
- Offer a press release proof-checking service to staff and volunteers to protect and enhance CP’s reputation and brand
- Liaise with the Charity’s regional staff, volunteers and the media to set up media interviews and brief all parties accordingly
- Research, write and distribute media releases and images to media where appropriate to meet PR objectives
- Act as media spokesperson where necessary
- Plan, organise and run media training sessions for key CP staff
- Identify and nurture new and existing celebrity relationships in conjunction with other team members
- Provide reactive responses to media queries and issues
- Provide input to the Charity’s overall public relations strategy and planning process
- Provide cover and support for the national Media Office when required by the PR Manager
- Be a proactive member of the Communications team, providing feedback, ideas and recommendations in order to increase the effectiveness of the department’s work, and attend relevant meetings and events
Please note that occasional/rota evening and weekend work may be required.
In common with all posts, ensure compliance with Cats Protection’s policies and procedures, statutory obligations and best practice, and to undertake such other duties as may be reasonably required by the Chief Executive. This job description may be subject to review in the light of the developing organisation and in consultation with the post holder.
Closing Date: 24th August 2017
Interview Date: 04th and 05th September 2017
To reward you we have a pay scheme which provides the opportunity to progress within your pay band, subject to satisfactory performance. We also offer a range of benefits which include a generous holiday entitlement, a competitive pension offering, a private medical scheme, and a death in service scheme.
Cats Protection is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
To apply for the role of Regional Media Officer, please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Additional Keywords: Regional Media Officer, Journalist, Reporter, Regional PR Officer, PR Officer, Public Relations Officer, Media Officer, Communications Executive, Journalism, Media, PR.