Senior Project Manager
New opportunity not to be missed. NFER is looking to recruit an enthusiastic Senior Project Manager - Educational Research Operations to join the team based in Slough. Joining us on a full time permanent basis, you will receive a competitive salary of £40,885 - £46,016 per annum and the level of appointment and associated salary will depend upon qualifications and experience.
The Research & Product Operations (RPO) Department is responsible for the administrative and data collection aspects of all of NFER’s extensive range of surveys, data collection and test trialling projects. We also provide research services directly to external clients. We run a number of panel based and omnibus services and manage the delivery of a number of NFER’s products and services for schools.
The service is divided into a number of teams, co-ordinated by the Director of Research & Product Operations. Much of our work focuses on enlisting the co-operation of LAs, schools and other organisations and individuals in order to secure appropriate samples, collect data and to make all the arrangements necessary for the smooth running of the various operations.
The Senior Project Manager - Educational Research Operations will take on a senior role in our Department, managing a range of complex projects at one time and contributing to NFER’s overriding strategy, to improve education and the lives of learners. This is an exciting opportunity for a ‘hands-on’ Project Manager who enjoys turning complex activities into practical reality, as well as using formal Project Management techniques to assure quality and delivery.
Examples of the type of projects this may include are:-
- Making all the arrangements for the trialling and pre-testing of national assessments in English and mathematics for eleven year olds.
- Managing the delivery of marking and analysis service of tests for years 3, 4 and 5 pupils
- Administering an evaluation survey of teacher and pupils involved in a primary mathematics initiative
- Managing and administering a teacher, pupil and parent suite of omnibus surveys
Senior Project Manager - Educational Research Operations key deliverables include:
- Devising solutions to deliver new projects
- Undertaking project and product management, using formal project management approaches
- Ensuring impact and effectiveness of projects and delivery of high quality outputs
- Providing effective line management
- Leading and motivating project teams
- Carrying out budget management and cost control
- Working with colleagues to implement continual development and improvement of the department
- Developing technical specifications to support project processes
- Writing and pitching for projects via competitive tendering
Senior Project Manager - Educational Research Operations person specification
- A degree or equivalent with a numerate / technical element
- Management experience, including management of sizeable projects
- Ability to demonstrate strong leadership and motivational skills
- Proven large scale, complex operational project management skills
- An interest and aptitude to learn new technologies
- Knowledge of the education system
- Project management qualification such as Prince2 or equivalent expertise or alternative
- The ability to manage teams and drive progress
- The ability to develop processes from scratch, mapping plans and turning outline projects into real deliverable steps
- Proven ability to manage and control budgets
- A creative approach and the ability to take on and shape new and unknown projects
- A real interest in operational and logistical projects
Applicants for this post should note that it is exempt from the “Rehabilitation of Offenders Act”; further details of NFER’s Disclosure & Barring Service (“DBS”) checking procedure are in the attached “Further Particulars” for this post.
Closing date: Thursday 24 August 2017
If you have an enthusiastic can do mentality and a willingness to challenge yourself in order to push your learning and progress your career as a Senior Project Manager - Educational Research Operations please click ‘Apply’ below.
No Agencies please, if you are an agency please respect our policy of no cold calling.
Closing date: 30th August