Private Client Department Paralegal
Hannays Solicitors and Advocates
Private Client Department Paralegal
Hannays Solicitors and Advocates provide legal services in the areas of family and children and private client work.
Our practice is contracted with the Legal Aid Agency and we hold the LEXCEL and CQS quality marks. Our clients give us excellent feedback.
We are looking for a paralegal who shares our commitment to the provision of quality legal services and client care. We envisage the successful candidate will want to go on to develop a career in law and will have completed a Law Degree and LPC. Our ideal person will have a strong desire to develop their private client legal skills which will include commercial conveyancing, wills, estates and probate, Court of Protection, and elderly client law.
The suitable applicant may have completed their law degree and LPC in the last couple of years and have been working as a paralegal since then, however depending upon experience gained during study may have just completed their LPC.
Although this role is advertised for a 6-month fixed term contract there is a possibility that we will either consider offering a training contract at the end of the initial six-month period dependent upon performance and ability or renewing the paralegal contract for a further six months.
The successful candidate must demonstrate a desire and commitment to developing a career in private client law with our firm.
Please pay particular attention to the type of legal services we offer. Our firm does not provide criminal defence services and this role would not be suitable employment for anyone who wishes to develop a role in criminal defence work.
The successful candidate must be able to start work as soon as possible after our offer of employment is made, however aappointment to this post and start date will be dependent upon passing a DBS check and successful reference checking. Reference checking will include contacting the SRA and the candidate providing a financial reference. Previous bankruptcy, current debt repayment arrangements (excluding student loan) and previous criminal convictions need to be declared for this appointment.
Role Profile Job Title
Paralegal Private Client Department
Managing Partner / COLP and COFA
HR link Partnership Secretary
Contract term Six months
Working Hours & other information 35 hours per week
Office hours: 9am – 5pm (with 1 hour for lunch).
This position requires an intelligent, responsible, resilient person who can manage a workload and work consistently. Considerable dedication, patience and commitment is required to ensure professional behaviour and client care. The successful applicant will be working closely with our Managing Partner on Private Client matters assisting him with a large workload.
The firm recognises how important it is for our staff to have a balance between work and home life, however we also recognise that this role requires flexibility to meet the needs of our clients and this cannot always be achieved by restricting hours of work to 9am-5pm. There should be a willingness to work off-site as we offer clients who are disabled, elderly or otherwise unable to visit our offices home visits. The role may require attendance at the Courts or other institutions and it would therefore be an advantage to hold a current driving licence and have a car.
28 days per annum including Bank Holidays which are usually taken as they fall.
Our Private Client work consists of Domestic Conveyancing, Commercial Property (not litigation), Wills, Probate, Trusts, Deputyships (and other elderly client services) and miscellaneous private instructions.
The successful applicant will work primarily in our Private Client Department, but may from time to time be required to assist with work in our Family/Children Department if necessary.
To be discussed depending upon experience.
At our office in South Shields or locations as we designate.
If the Supervisor authorises overtime, it will be paid at our normal rates. Mileage if incurred for the business of the firm will be paid at our normal rates. Continual professional development and any initial training necessary to develop this role will be provided.
The aim of this position is to produce (under supervision) high quality and effective work on behalf of our clients. This is developed through in-depth experience and understanding of the practical aspects and rigours of conveyancing and private client law supported by legal qualifications gained at university. It is hoped this role will underpin and direct the successful applicant to a future career within private client law.
The successful applicant will work within a team and must be prepared to maintain client files in accordance with our quality expectations conforming to Lexcel and CQS standards.
The successful applicant will be administratively self-supporting but incoming and outgoing post will be reviewed by the Supervisor and some secretarial support will be available.
Job performance and future development is reviewed periodically with the successful applicant expected to contribute to these reviews.
- To attend clients; to take instructions from them; to progress their legal needs; to advise on points of procedure and basic points of law
- To liaise with third parties to progress the clients matter
- To represent the Firm as directed by the Supervisor
- To manage own workload effectively within the team
- To undertake legal and administrative tasks relating to the work with clients
- To undertake billing of files on completion and conduct file closure procedures
- To research legal and factual matters as required for matters you may deal with
Qualifications & experience
- Law Degree 2:1 or above with a Commendation or Distinction in LPC
- Evidence of a real interest in developing a career in private client work.
- Drive and enthusiasm coupled with a real desire to progress and succeed in your legal career.
- Self-motivated, confident and keen to succeed.
- Administratively self-supporting with working knowledge of MS Word/Excel/Outlook. We will give training on our case management, search software and Land Registry portal, etc.
- Evidence of continuing professional development
- Evidence of research skills
- Current full driving licence and car owner
- Past employment or work experience that would evidence transferable skills to this role.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Objective and professional when dealing with clients
·Excellent attention to detail
- An excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills, but with an ability and diligence to manage own workloads in terms of accuracy and timekeeping
- Ability to work as a team member with different levels of staff in different departments and offices
- Strong IT skills.
- Training will be provided on use of IT packages specific to Hannays Solicitors and Advocates
- Ability to work to tight deadlines
- Good interpersonal skills with a wide range of people
- Can handle a range of tasks and prioritise
This role profile is an outline of the competencies required for this post but it may not be an exhaustive description.
Closing date for applications is Thursday 31st August 2017 midnight.
Interviews are expected to be held in mid-September with appointment by 1st October.