Legal Counsel / In-House Lawyer / Solicitor
Job Title: Legal Counsel
Salary: Competitive, dependant on experience
Job Type: Full Time, 12 month fixed term contract
Reports To: Head of Legal
Our Client are looking for an experienced Legal Counsel to provide comprehensive legal support to all areas of the business and at all levels across the Group and assist in reviewing standard legal documentation. The post holder will need to act as a first point of contact for all BAU legal issues and act as a conduit between us and external legal parties.
- Management of, and liaison with, external legal counsel and/or related specialists.
- Be the first port of call for organisational wide BAU legal issues, whether reviewing commercial contracts, or drafting initial business contracts.
- Provide specific legal advice and support to legal issues regarding the organisation's general business activities and its group governance and provide general advice regarding corporate and governance (not already provided by the Governance Team).
- To provide support and assistance to Head of Legal as required.
- To provide assistance, if needed, in connection with LPP's pooling programme in connection with global equities, private equity, infrastructure, credit, fixed income, total return and property and any changes in connection with the pooling structures for the aforementioned investment strategies.
- Advise HR as required of legal employment matters as well as be the interface with external HR lawyers if needed.
- Develop a suite of standard documentation and commercial terms for LPP and its general businesses.
- Manage all BAU legal processes, any litigation and business transactions.
- Analyse and identify legal risks and implications.
- Draft, review, negotiate and administer legal and transactional documentations.
- Handle ad hoc assignments as and when required.
- Keep management and relevant group departments abreast of new laws and regulations that may have implications to the Company. Provision of relevant training to improve efficiencies to areas of the business.
- Provide assistance/input for specific LPP projects (including MiFID II and GDPR) and work with any consultants brought in to implement such projects.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following qualities:
- Proven experience in a business environment
- Ability to make decisions in a timely fashion
- Full comprehension of the influences of the external environment of a corporation
- Demonstrated ability to create legal defensive or proactive strategies
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Sound judgement and ability to analyse situations and information
- Outstanding communication and negotiation skills
- Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships, and work flexibly across professional and operational boundaries. Ability to communicate confidently with senior management and external clients.
- Excellent organisation, communication and management skills, an ability to work across different practice areas and the confidence and ability to work on your own initiative.
Required Qualification, Skills and Experience
- Minimum of 4 years PQE and have trained with a reputable UK law firm.
- Previous in house legal experience desirable but not essential.
- Knowledge and understanding of the following areas of law: corporate, commercial, public, competition, employment, pensions, property and financial services.
- Experience of investment management work (including fund formation, negotiation of IMAs and side letters) from an established fund investment practice or experience gained from an in-house role at a fund or asset manager is desirable but not essential.
Reasonable adjustment will be made to working arrangements to accommodate a person with a disability who otherwise would be prevented from undertaking the work.
Please click the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for this role.
Candidates with the experience or relevant job titles of; Legal Counsel, In House Lawyer, Corporate Lawyer, Commercial Lawyer, Funds Lawyer, In House Legal Counsel may also be considered for this role.