Accountant Assistant – Purchase Sales Ledger
Full Time / Permanent - 35 hours per week
Mill Hill, London
£22,000.00 - £25,000.00 per annum
retailTRUST is the National Charity that exists to improve the wellbeing of all involved in retail. Our support centres not only assist those in the sector but also serves the local and wider communities. Our range of services include a free confidential helpline, counselling services and hardship grants as well as supporting career opportunities and retirement housing.
retailTRUST are currently recruiting for an Accountant Assistant, based at our Mill Hill Estate to join the small Finance team. The Accountant Assistant is responsible for ensuring Suppliers are paid the correct amount and at the correct time.
- Dealing with creditor’s correspondence and queries.
- Receiving and sorting mail by purchase invoices, credit notes, statements, correspondence etc.
- Ensuring estate invoices are sent to the estate managers for authorisation within a day of receipt. HO invoices are coded and passed for authorisation to the relevant department manager.
- Checking purchase invoices/credit notes for input, ensuring correct level of authority authorisation and correct expense/cost is used.
- Registering and entering Counsellors invoices.
- Checking expense claim forms are correctly coded and all receipts are attached before registering the claim in the accounting software. Ensuring claims are not duplicated.
- Processing and generating weekly manual cheques and Bank Line payments, obtaining signatures and mailing off cheques.
- Preparing weekly payment run on Thursday.
- Ensure all invoices and expense claims received by Monday every week to be included in the current week payment.
- Ensure all invoices and expense claims get updated by end of Wednesday to prepare payment run on Thursday
- Print and send remittances (Email and Post)
- Creating new suppliers and making sure a new supplier form is completed by supplier or staff requesting new account setup.
- Checking and clearing invoices from register maintenance
- Assisting with Petty Cash
- Checking bank details in all invoices against the bank details in system
- Distributing monthly credit card statements to the account holders.
- Preparing monthly credit cards reconciliation statements.
- Reconciling supplier statements and requesting missing invoices
- Providing an annotated aged creditor analysis each month by the 15th of each month.
- Providing an annotated schedule of debit balances on the purchase ledger.
- Assisting with monthly management accounts
- Maintaining control of stock of cheque books and paying books
- Assisting with ad hoc information as required.
- Providing cover at peak times and in the absence of other staff in the accounts department as required ensuring that systems are maintained.
- Filling & archiving invoices.
- Maintenance of the Fixed Asset register.
- Educated to A-Level or equivalent.
- Working towards a finance qualification (desirable)
- Experience of working within a fast paced finance team
- Have basic knowledge of booking keeping skills
- Computer user skills (MS Office software)
- Experience of using a dedicated finance database (Microsoft Dynamics NAV and Raiser’s Edge – desirable)
- Attention to detail
- An appreciation of the issues and challenges relating to a multi-site organisation
- Ability to interact and liaise effectively with staff and managers, at all levels
- Effective communication skills (written and oral) and the ability to communicate with a wide range of people in person and by telephone
- Ability to set up and maintain effective administrative systems (computerised and manual)