The Category Manager will be accountable for the procurement of goods and/or services in the specific categories assigned to them.
The primary focus of the role is to establish / review the category strategy, conduct a full review of the supplier marketplace, processes and ways of working, and effectively manage supplier relationships and procurement projects. The objectives are to generate effective embedded ways of working with external and internal stakeholders, a clearly structured and effectively managed supplier and partner portfolio and maintain cost control through efficient contract management.
The role is responsible for managing spend of over £40m.
- Able to manage various Procurement projects
- Run product and feature development projects
- Provide insight and suggested actions to our business, based on analysis of complex data from multiple sources and the use of relevant Procurement tools
- Form and lead multi functional teams
- Present project reviews to all levels of the business
- Conduct a full review of the supplier marketplace, processes and ways of working across the categories, aiming to generate effective embedded ways of working with external and internal stakeholders and a clearly structured and effectively managed supplier and partner portfolio
- Work with relevant business owners to understand the specific business requirements and their implications on the procurement cycle
- Operate within the marketplace in order to assess and proactively leverage developments, trends and changes.
- Develop a sustainable, long term and cost effective sourcing strategy for the specific categories that supports the business in achieving its objectives, enables the Company to leverage its buying power in the marketplace and delivers value-for-money.
- Communicates effectively the sourcing strategy to all relevant stakeholders in order to get their commitment and support while demonstrating the value it can bring.
- define the most appropriate commercial strategy to deliver specific procurement initiatives in terms of requirement structure, supplier base, tools, technology and terms of reference.
- assess the supplier's responses in terms of total cost of ownership, challenge suppliers when appropriate, communicates effectively with business owners to identify benefits and/or issues.
- negotiate commercial terms with suppliers in order to maximise value-for-money
- define robust contracts from a commercial, risk management and technical point of view
- develop performance focused SLA's and include them in the contracts
Supplier Relationship Management
- Manage key suppliers to ensure maximum value delivered. Key suppliers need to be managed as business partners in terms of:
- Delivery performance
- Service level agreement compliance
- Demand planning
- Quality assurance and audit
- Improvement opportunities
- Long term planning
- Operational excellence initiatives
- Contact future possible suppliers and continuously benchmark them against the existing supplier base.
- Work with business owners to proactively anticipate issues and/or identify future opportunities
- Work with business owners to identify solutions and action plans to develop savings initiatives linked closely to the business objectives.
- Partner with Finance to ensure correct reporting of spend and savings data
- Communicate effectively savings and value delivered by procurement
- Support sales teams in technical conversations with suppliers and customers
- Manage and develop less experienced procurement professionals in terms of know-how and competencies
- Develop best practice and design procurement tools and techniques
- Promote continuous improvement within the sourcing team and function through leadership, vision and team development
Additional Salary Info: 26 Days Holiday, Double matched pension, PMI, Life Assurance
Procurement | Manufacturing | Buyer | Category Manager | Manufacture
Essential Criteria: 26 Days Holiday, Double matched pension, PMI, Life Assurance
- Graduate calibre
- Proven experience of successfully managing a procurement /category management service, operating in a complex manufacturing environment and across multiple stakeholders. Experience from the following:
- Speciality Raw Materials
- Finished product for Resale
- Experience supporting manufacturing operations
- A proven track record of influencing business owners in high value procurement projects in a commercial environment
- Knowledge and understanding of specific market dynamics and trends
- Proven experience in the application of:
- Procurement tools and techniques;
- Value Analysis;
- Cost Engineering;
- Process Mapping;
- Tender Management
We are a market leading solutions-based organisation with a unique customer base operating on a global level.