Senior Java Developer
The Financial Times is looking for a passionate, exciting and innovative Senior Java Developer to join their 350+ people technology team.
Come join a dynamic group of Technology specialists in areas which include; Web & Cloud Software Development, Data Analytics, eCommerce, Salesforce, Networks, Infrastructure, Business Analysis, Programme/Project Management, Customer/Supplier Management and Operations.
Working as part of a true DevOps team, from day one, you'll dive straight in, helping to deliver innovative solutions in a friendly and collaborative work environment. My client believes in multi disciplined co located teams empowered to choose their own development methodologies (SCRUM or Kanban), tools and techniques. The FT practise Continuous Delivery or Continuous Deployment to ensure they deliver incremental value throughout the product life cycle.
We ensure our engineers have all the tools they need - you'll be free to choose the OS and device type which suits you best, so you're ready to go.
With their collaborative culture, there are always opportunities to get involved and help bring your fantastic ideas to life. My client runs regular hack days, which sees teams compete against each other to pitch their ideas to a panel of industry experts. There are also regular competitions for ideas which help promote readership engagement and growth. Employees are encouraged to attend off-site conferences and training courses in addition to a growing number of internal events - this includes our very own 'Engine Room Live' conference. Engineers also have the opportunity to experience new domains and technologies within our Technology group meaning there's always a new challenge waiting for you.
My client's Engineering team is constantly pushing the boundaries of user experience and performance.
As part of this amazing institution your responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Be able to provide leadership to a multi-disciplined group of engineers in an agile delivery team, acting as the main technical contact, translating business requirements from product owners into technical solutions and directing the day to day technical operations of the team.
- Ensure solutions are robust and technically fit for purpose and in line with FT technology strategy and meet required quality and operational monitoring standards.
- Work closely with Operations and Support teams to ensure delivery of efficient monitoring, alerting and documentation.
- Collaborate with business analysts & product owners to contribute to the definition and understanding of incoming requirements.
- Take complete ownership over solutions such that the team will provide on-going support to the systems that they build
- Some experience of leading and directing a multi-disciplined group of engineers, with a desire to further develop these skills
- Strong experience of working as part of an agile delivery team using agile methodologies (SCRUM or Kanban)
- A passion for modern software development processes including DevOps, continuous delivery & deployment, TDD and BDD
- Strong knowledge of Object Oriented development and Domain Driven Design
- Skilled in Java 8, experience of other programming languages desirable
- Strong experience developing RESTful APIs with a strong understanding of the HTTP specification
- Excellent Development Testing skills, with TDD experience and exposure to a variety of mocking techniques and frameworks. Any experience in Production monitoring using techniques such as synthetic transactions would be highly desirable.
- Demonstrated experience taking ownership over the development of features with respect to both infrastructure and functional concerns
- Experience of having to make strong, pragmatic decisions within previous roles to ensure the best outcomes for solutions being built
- An understanding of the principles of NoSQL Databases, message queues, distributed transactions, caching and containerisation would be highly desirable
Lorien Resourcing is acting as an employment agency for this vacancy.
If this role is of interest to you, please submit your CV at your earliest convenience.