Rural Insurance has an exciting opportunity for an Underwriter to join our busy office based at our head office in Harrogate. The role is a full time, permanent position offering a competitive salary of between £25,000 - £30,000 per annum depending on experience, plus excellent benefits package including contributory company pension, private medical, life assurance along with regular pay reviews.
Established in 1995, Rural Insurance, part of Primary Group, the award-winning, specialist insurance provider, is an underwriting company dedicated to providing insurance solutions to meet the needs of agricultural and rurally-based businesses. Working exclusively with brokers, we supply insurance products that provide a broad range of rural business and farming requirements.
About the Role
We are looking for individuals with experience preferably in the agricultural industry, however commercial or general insurance experience would be welcomed. As an Underwriter you will have good organisational skills with excellent attention to detail. In addition you will have previous experience of working to tight deadlines.
The ideal candidate for this role will have previous commercial insurance experience. You will be a strong team player but with the ability to work independently and will be able to prioritise a busy, varied workload. You will be a good communicator (written and verbal) with a strong supporting focus.
Key Responsibilities of our Underwriter:
- To strive for maximum efficiency, development and profitability
- Identify & triage of new business enquiries meeting the company’s appetite
- Identify and seek out additional key risk information required to adequately underwrite and price risks
- Underwriting of new business in accordance with the company’s underwriting strategy and Underwriting Guide
- Where required, and depending on business needs, underwriting of existing business in accordance with the company’s underwriting strategy and underwriting guide
- Working with business development team to achieve business growth in accordance with targets
- Processing policy amendments
- Resolution of queries from clients, other team members etc
- Resolution of accounts queries
- Identify own training needs and communicate requirements to line manager
- Work in accordance with personal Underwriting Licence
- Work in accordance with company’s service standards
What we’re looking for in our Underwriter
- Previous underwriting experience
- Awareness and understanding of Compliance rules
- Awareness and understanding of the FCA Rules and how to comply with them
- Application of underwriting skill and judgment
- A working knowledge of market wordings and products.
- A working knowledge of the law as it relates to insurance
- A good understanding of the broker environment and broker relationships
- Agricultural /commercial underwriting experience, or experience of dealing with agricultural/commercial products in a broking environment
- Ability to write in plain English and avoid unnecessary use of jargon
- An ability to understand and anticipate customer needs
- An ability to work accurately and consistently
- A high level of numeracy
- An ability to gain maximum benefit from strong negotiation skills
- An ability to work to tight deadlines and work under pressure
This is an exciting role which will provide a wealth of experience for the right candidate!
If you feel you have the skills and experience to become our Underwriter then please click ‘apply’ today, we would love to hear from you!