Dental Nurse - Orthodontic Practice
This is a fantastic opportunity to work for a successful and well established orthodontist practice.
The Practice, incorporates two sites in Godalming and Farnham. Both practices are well established and offer Private and NHS orthodontic treatments to patients of all ages, using the latest technology combined with years of experience and patient satisfaction.
Farnham based (and travel to Godalming site when required)
Permanent, Full Time
Salary range: circa 21k dependent on experience (and benefits).
They take a 'Patient Centered’ approach which is key to achieve their goals and maintain good relationships between their clinicians and the people they treat. They seek to maintain traditional values whilst continuing to develop and progress with cutting edge technology and treatments.
An essential part of any dental team, the position of dental nurse works closely with a qualified orthodontist, ensuring dental sessions run as smoothly as possible. Duties undertaken by a dental nurse include preparing and maintaining the clinical environment, charting during examinations, preparing and mixing materials, and providing support to patients during treatment.
Responsibilities will include but not restricted to:
- To perform high quality dental nursing whilst assisting the dentists or therapist s/he has been appointed with, in a safe and effective manner in accordance with the 'Code of Ethics’ of the British Association of Dental Nurses and the GDC requirements and recommendations to the dentists and their staff.
- Manage patient’s appointments and records; ensuring accurate records are kept and ensure the recording methods are used in line with agreed practice policy, current medico-legal guidelines and recommendations from official bodies
- Ensuring all equipment is sterilized and ready before procedures and treatments. Sterilizing and performing cross-infection controls after each patient
- Set-up and prepare the surgery for the type of patient and treatment planned before the start of each session
- Undertake necessary start up and end of day tests, keeping all necessary recordings in accordance with professional guidelines
- Operate suction devices during treatment
- Prepare materials and compositions e.g. fillings, perform material stock control.
- Building relationships with patients, helping reassure patients and managing patients appointments
- Processing Labs requests
- X-rays; assist in the correct procedure for dental radiography including processing and mounting, following professional guidelines at all times
- Carrying stock control duties; monitor and maintain stocks within the dental surgery as necessary, informing the Practice Manager and liaising with the dentists and therapist over necessary orders, and warning of any shortages of materials in the stores
- Calculating treatment costs and explain them to patient
- Assisting the Dentists and Hygienists with dental procedures. Check patient’s medical history information is up to date and advise the dentists or therapist of any problems s/he has noted. Chart and update patients records on the computer as necessary, and assist the dentists or therapist in the completion of records
- Follow Health & Safety Codes, C.O.S.H.H and R.I.D.D.O.R. guidelines at all times, including when taking x-rays, handling mercury, disposing of sharps and clinical waste, resuscitation, emergency procedures and fire drill and the care of patients/visitors.
- To make certain that an efficient link with the dental laboratory is upheld to prevent delays in the dispatch and receipt of work
- Qualified Dental Nurse registered with the General Dental Council
- Implant and orthodontic experience is desirable
- GCSE Level or equivalent qualification in Mathematics and English at Grade C or above
- Recognised GDC qualifications; NEBDN National Certificate, NVQ Level 3 in Oral Healthcare, SVQ Level 3 in Oral Healthcare, Certificate of Proficiency in Dental Nursing and Certificate of Higher Education in Dental Nursing
- Hepatitis B vaccinated and have clear proof of antibody titre to confirm that s/he is appropriately protected from the virus.
- Xray qualification and experience (desirable)
- Familiarity CQC regulations
- Driving License may be required to travel between Practice locations.
- Own professional indemnity insurance required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Computer literate in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook and ability to learn bespoke packages
- Positive and professional attitude towards work
- Good team worker
- An organised and methodical approach to working
- A polite cheerful attitude, particularly when dealing with patients and suppliers
Hours of Work:
Monday: 8.45am -5.45pm OR 1.00pm -8.00pm
Tuesday: 8.45am -5.45pm OR 1.00pm -8.00pm
Wednesday: 8.45am -5.45pm OR 1.00pm -8.00pm
Thursday: 8.45am -5.45pm OR 1.00pm -8.00pm
Friday: 8.45am -5.45pm OR 1.00pm -8.00pm
Saturday: 9.00am -1.00pm when required
(Unpaid Lunch Mon-Fri; 60 minutes for early shift, 20 minutes for later shift)
If you would like to apply for this position, please click the apply button and attach your CV and covering letter, it will be sent automatically to the employer.
No agency applications please.