Design Engineer/Structural Engineer
Questech Recruitment are currently recruiting for a client in the Derbyshire area.
Design Engineer with design experience in building structures.
- Reporting directly to the Design Manager, the successful candidate will be expected to produce structural designs including both member and panel sizing as well as connection designs for both tenders and live contracts
- Provide advice on the stability of structures both in the temporary and permanent conditions.
- Attend pre or post contract design meetings, either independently or as part of a team.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Produce robust designs for structures for both tender and live contacts including primary / secondary member designs together with connection details and temporary works requirements for the safe erection of the structure.
- Be able to produce sketches and marked up drawings to communicate their design intent as well as detailed calculations to back up design proposals, presented in a clear, legible, manner.
- Assist in the development of design procedures and in the development of design spreadsheets (and/or other software) for use by the in-house design department.
- Support and assist in the development of the in-house drawing resource.
- Review and assess designs produced by other engineers (either internal or external), ensuring validity.
- Represent the company at meetings in a confident and professional manner, at both tender and contract stage. This may include meetings with Main Contractors, Architects, Consulting Engineers or Clients directly.
- Liaise with other departments within the company and have an appreciation of pressures on other areas of the business.
- Assist in consolidation of the current knowledge in the business, in respect of working details, tolerances and preferences.
- Provide competent design advice, in support of the Contracts, Estimating and Commercial departments.
- Ensure that the design files for each contract are kept up to date and that new files are set up in line with the company QA procedures.
kills, experience and attributes required:
- The applicant is required to have a strong academic record in engineering to MEng or Msc level. The applicant should be working towards Chartered status with the IStructE or ICE.
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate their ability to read engineering drawings and specifications to produce a co-ordinated design.
- Have a good working knowledge of relevant design codes (both British Standards and EuroCodes). Knowledge of timber design to EC5 is desirable, but applicants lacking timber design experience will be supported in developing these skills.
- Have an appreciation and understanding of the impact of design solutions on other trades and functions.
- Have a good appreciation of the commercial impact of design and associated details (for example machining, fabrication and erection).
- Good IT skills, in particular capable of using Excel, Word and Outlook, as well as previous experience of using structural design software are very important.
- The ability to multitask, organise workflow and respond quickly to new challenges is essential.
- Ability to work to strict deadlines, ensure delivery to agreed programme and commercial constraints.