Senior Structural Engineer
Questech Recruitment are currently recruiting Senior Structural Engineers to join one of their clients within the Derby area.
Working on hybrid steel and timber projects, commercial and industrial construction projects and multi storey/complex structures.
Key Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Lead the design on projects (including design work carried out by other internal designers), communicate with external engineering resources and interact with project teams.
- Represent the company at meetings in a confident and professional manner, at both tender and contract stage. This may include meetings with Main Contractors, Architects, Consulting Engineers or Clients directly. Advice should be given with confidence and accuracy based on knowledge and experience.
- Develop areas of research; work with other departments and external specialists to turn ideas into reality that improve construction methods.
- Produce designs for structures for both tender and live contacts including primary/secondary member designs together with connection details and temporary works requirements for the safe erection of the structure.
- Produce sketches and marked up drawings to communicate design intent, as well as detailed calculations to back up design proposals, presented in a clear, legible manner.
- Develop design spreadsheets (and/or other software) and assist in the development of design procedures for use by the in-house design department. This includes improving design automation and implementing BIM processes where appropriate.
- Review and assess designs produced by other engineers (either internal or external), ensuring validity. This includes conformance with design codes, quality procedures, project requirements, fabrication and procurement constraints and engineering best practice. The candidate should have the confidence and experience to proactively guide the work of other engineers.
- Liaise with other departments within the company and have an appreciation of pressures on other areas of the business.
- Pro-actively contribute to the consolidation of the current knowledge in the business, in respect of working details, tolerances and preferences.
- Provide competent design advice, in support of the Contracts, Estimating and Commercial departments. This includes structural advice and the relationship with other related disciplines (Architecture, Fire Engineering, Client-side Structural Engineers and Building Physics).
- Ensure that the design files for each contract are kept up to date and that new files are set up in line with the company QA procedures.
- Further develop knowledge of structural design and the design knowledge base within the company.
- Carry out an active role in the commercial management of the business, in support of the Contracts/Commercial teams.
- Estimate design periods and report on design progress. Delegate design tasks effectively to other internal or external designers where required.
Skills, experience and attributes required:
- The candidate is required to have a Civil/Structural Engineering degree or equivalent industrial experience. The applicant should either be a Chartered Engineer with the IStructE or ICE or be close to achieving Chartered status.
- Candidates will have experience of steel frame design within industrial and retail sectors including the design of portal frames, from concept design through to detailed design. This experience should extend to member design, connection design and temporary works.
- Candidates should have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and should be capable of presenting technical information in a clear and concise manner to technical and non-technical colleagues.
- Candidates should be comfortable managing engineering teams to deliver projects with enthusiasm and a proactive approach.
- Candidates should have a good working knowledge of relevant design codes, technical good practice and current analytical software. A high level of independence in the design of steel and/or engineered timber structures is required.
- Candidates should have a holistic appreciation to construction and the impact that structural engineering design has in terms of construction sequencing, structural efficiency and embodied carbon.
- Good IT skills are required, (Excel, Word and Outlook), as well as previous experience of using structural design software including TEDDS and Tekla Building Designer.
- Candidates should take an active interest in the development and mentoring of junior colleagues.