Retail Customer Assistant
Retail Customer Assistant
University Hospital of North Durham, Durham
Part-time / Permanent
Royal Voluntary Service hospital cafés, shops and trolleys are part of the fabric of the NHS and a real asset in their own right. Staffed by employees and volunteers, we provide an outstanding range of beverages and healthy food choices. Our customers love the fact that the money they spend with us pays for volunteer action in hospitals and the community.
Working alongside a friendly team, you will participate in the day-to-day running of our busy retail shop and outpatients coffee shop, in the University Hospital of North Durham.
In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Providing friendly, helpful and efficient service at all times
- Welcoming customers, informing them about specials or new products, answering questions and accepting orders and payments
- Preparing hot and cold drinks
- Serving freshly made food such as cake, sandwiches and pastries
- Operating the till and cashing up
- Maintaining a high level of cleanliness complying with Health and Safety and food hygiene standards and ensuring all areas of the site remain tidy
- Ensuring that all stock and displays are replenished regularly and ordering supplies if required
- Working anti-social hours with responsibility to open and close the store
- Supervise volunteer shop workers
This is a permanent, part-time role working 16 hours per week.
Our retail sites can be open on weekends and bank holidays. There may also be opportunities for paid overtime in busy periods or to cover absence.
What you’ll need
Working in a hospital requires a special kind of customer service. Your ability to communicate with a variety of people in a friendly and cheerful way will make a real difference to someone’s day. The key is to adapt your approach to each person to ensure their needs are met.
- Previous experience in a retail or cafe environment would be an advantage but training will be given - just make sure you have a positive attitude and can-do mindset along with a willingness to work and we’ll teach you the rest
- The ability to deliver excellent customer service
- Familiarity with email and internet is required
- A flexible approach towards working hours
- Enjoying working within a passionate team as well as working on your own on occasions
- Knowledge of EPOS systems would be advantageous
What you get in return
We’re proud to be in the top 25 not-for-profit organisations to work for in the UK, based on ratings from Indeed. As a valued employee at Royal Voluntary Service, you will benefit from:
- Salary of £10.62 per hour
- 26 days’ holiday (pro rata) plus paid statutory Bank Holidays (pro rata)
- Ten weeks’ company sick pay following successful completion of probation
- A great pension scheme
- 2 x Salary Death in Service Benefit, subject to qualification
- Enhanced Family Leave schemes
- An employee benefits package that gives access to an exclusive rewards website to get discounts and cashback online
- A 24-hour doctor line, financial support with dental/optical and other therapies
- A free and confidential employee assistance programme with up to six face-to-face counselling sessions included
- Extensive online and on the job training to ensure you will succeed in your role
- Opportunities to discuss flexible working
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The chance to make a positive, lasting impact that changes lives, communities and society
Royal Voluntary Service is committed to building inclusive and diverse teams across the charity. To find out more about our commitment to EDI, visit our website.
How to apply
Please select the apply button shown to be taken through to the application process. You will need to answer some screening questions as well as uploading your CV. You will be contacted by a member of the team once your application has been reviewed.
Here at Royal Voluntary Service, we're committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. We want to be a charity that's representative of the communities we serve, which is why we strive for diversity of age, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, ethnicity and perspective.
Join Royal Voluntary Service and together we can change lives, change communities and change society.
Dates to bear in mind
The closing date for this role is 26th November 2023. However, we reserve the right to close this vacancy early should sufficient applications be received.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Other organisations may call this role Retail Assistant, Shop Assistant, Café Assistant, Store Assistant, Retail Sales Assistant, or Customer Service Assistant.