SCHOOL NURSE/MENTAL HEALTH LEAD
SCHOOL NURSE/MENTAL HEALTH LEAD
St. Andrew’s College Cambridge has been offering both UK and international students the opportunity to study in central Cambridge for over 40 years. St Andrew’s College is owned by the Dukes Education Group. What makes us different is we are a small school with dedicated staff who are committed to helping students to achieve success and have a successful future. Our administration team and many of our teachers have been working with St Andrew’s for more than 10 years (many longer!) and this means we all have the experience needed to help and support you in every aspect.
Full time, term time only
Salary – Competitive + pension
Reports to Head of Pastoral Care and Boarding
Liaises with Pastoral and academic staff, parents and guardians of students, health professionals eg GP, A&E, walk-in centre, hospitals, clinics, consultants, dentists etc
The post holder will be providing a service to students which promotes their physical, mental and emotional health
The post holder will also be responsible for the strategic development of the health centre in line with recommended best practice guidelines from the RCN, Boarding Schools' Association (BSA) and lndependent Schools lnspectorate (lSl).
The duties of the College Nurse include (but are not limited to):
- Daily clinics; Attending to pupils who take ill during the school day and administering first aid where necessary
- Availability to provide out of hours over the phone' advice and in extremely rare circumstances provide assistance with hospital emergencies
- Co-ordinating the supervision and care of boarders who are ill
- Accompany students to medical appointments as required
- Arrange medical and dental appointments for boarders as necessary, liaising with the local surgery and other health care providers.
- Registering all new students with the local surgery
- Communicating with parents and house parents as necessary
- Comprehensive note taking/report writing in relation to incidents/accidents
- Ensure care plans are developed and updated for all students, printed and provided to relevant staff
- Ensure First Aid and Medication boxes are supplied and refilled as appropriate
- Preparing and reviewing medical and health policies, ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements
- Be the lead person responsibility for the acquisition, appropriate and secure storage, and the administering of prescription and non-prescription medications to students
- Deliver a service in line with National Minimum Boarding Standards
- To always maintain patient confidentiality applying latest NMC Guidance
- Adhere to the NMC Code: Standards of conduct, performance and ethics for nurses and midwives and be conversant with the Scope of professional practice and other NMC advisory papers
- Maintaining communication with relevant external agencies as required: GP, Health Visitors, CAMHS, etc.
- Be responsible for appropriate development of protocols and patient group directions
- Be responsible for the smooth and efficient running of the Nurse Station, ensuring efficient systems and processes are in place
- Operate procedures for the control of infectious diseases
- Ensuring relevant training is provided to welfare staff in respect of the giving and storing of medicines
- Promote health education within the college including some involvement in the teaching of PSHE in school
- Keep up to date with current health promotion initiatives
- Advise on aspects of Environmental Health and Safety matters
- Teach first aid, clinical skills and provide education to support workers/school staff as required
- Continuously promote the welfare of children and young people in line with the St Andrews Safeguarding policy and UK legislation
- Be responsible for the safeguarding of all members of the college community
- Ensure safeguarding training is up to date
- Escalate safeguarding concerns appropriately and timely
- Support and facilitate the College’s activities and development initiatives
- Contribute to the attainment of the College’s strategic objectives, as appropriate.
- Demonstrate consistently professional and positive attitudes, values and behaviours which are expected of pupils
- Undertake such duties as may reasonably be required in consideration of your role, general responsibilities, salary level.
- Participate in and promote the College’s professional development and appraisal practices
Should you wish to apply please complete the application form and return to Mark Taylor - email@example.com