Do you want to be pioneering and influential in a role where you play an integral part in driving our ambitions for positive environmental change with our colleagues and our communities?
On behalf of the South West Peatland Partnership, South West Water are delighted that we have successfully secured funding from Natural England's Nature for Climate Peatlands Restoration scheme which is made up of regional and local organisations to restore 2,634 hectares of damaged peatland in Cornwall, Devon and Somerset, saving a total of 652,625 tonnes of CO2 equivalent. As we move into this exciting new phase, you'll be joining us as we enter a time of innovation, creativity and vision. This is a tremendous opportunity and the projects you will be working on can only add value and help preserve the future of our natural environment.
We currently have an opportunity available for a Communications Officer to join our team working in Exeter or Prince Town, with a hybrid working arrangement. You will join us on a full-time, fixed term contract until 2025, and in return, you will receive asalary ofGBP28,500 - GBP30,000 per annum plus benefits.
About the role:
In this key role you will be liaising with South West Waters Communication Team and a variety of internal and external stakeholders to carefully craft educational, social and meaningful literature. You will be responsible for managing social media content, creating a new SWPP website and ensuring that all materials and content remain up to date. The role involves attending a variety of communication meetings, catchment management groups and remaining on track with projects, so your strong organisational and interpersonal skills will come in hand.
What you'll be doing:
- Planning, leading and delivering specialist communication projects using both internal and external resources to support the SWPP and Green Recovery (GR) Dartmoor+ project
- Setting up, promoting, protecting and enhancing a South West Peatland Partnership brand in collaboration with partners
- Managing stakeholder relations, representing SWW at Communication meetings with external parties, ensuring effective resolution of any issues and protecting the interests of SWW
- Keeping up to date with the current restoration & environmental issues, thinking and practices, in order to 'communicate' this internally and externally
- Generating graphics and images using design software's (Canva, Illustrator, Photoshop etc)
- Reporting on the performance of the restoration team to external groups, demonstrating Green Recovery delivery outcomes, the positive impact of Mires restoration etc.
- Managing social media platforms and online web platforms, including the creation of engaging content on platforms like Twitter, Facebook, SWPP webpage etc
- Managing the written literature in brochures, letters, newspapers and journals, which will involve producing monthly update reports for SWPP, UST programme, monthly updates for stakeholders and a newsletter each month
- Working closely with the Education and Engagement Officer in assisting in the organisation of events and activities that engage people in peatlands and environmental challenges
- Working closely with the SWW Coms Team and partners to produce proactive and regular press releases
- Working in collaboration with the wider Mires Team to achieve effective liaisons with moorland landowners/tenants/ users
- Working with partner organisations and funders to achieve their objectives and adhere to all administration requirements
- All aspects of proofreading and the maintenance of information accuracy across brochures, letters, web content and social media materials
What we are looking for:
- An environmental advocate who is naturally passionate about sustainable land management.
- Degree in English, Social Media or Digital Marketing subject, or relevant vocational qualifications and relevant work experience
- Experience in the development of websites and content and social networks
- Experience giving presentations/talking to large groups
What's in it for you:
We know that the support and commitment of our staff is key to our success so you will receive the opportunity for ongoing development and training for a long-term career with us. We're one of the largest companies in the South West and are proud to have been awarded Investors in People recognition.
In return, we offer an excellent range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday allowance plus bank holidays
- A discretionary Bonus
- Competitive Contributory Pension
- Share save Scheme
- Various health benefits
- Wellbeing support programmes
- A range of Group Discounts
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Financial Support services
- And more!
Be yourself, we like it that way. Together, we will build a culture of belonging, where inclusion is instinctive. Diversity is our strength and a reflection of our communities. We care, we value everyone, we celebrate uniqueness.
South West Water is part of the Pennon Group, a very successful and stable business that prides itself on sustainability. We provide reliable, efficient and high-quality drinking water and wastewater services for a population of c. 1.7 million in Cornwall, Devon, and parts of Somerset and Dorset.
We believe that by investing in the future of our region, we are not only improving the quality of life for today's residents and visitors but are also taking responsibility for future generations. Responsibility for the environment is central to this. Our aim is to continually drive up standards, particularly in the areas that matter most to our customers.
Our core values which are essential to our success are:
- Trusted - We do the right thing for our customers and stakeholders.
- Collaborative - We forge strong relationships working together to make a positive impact.
- Responsible - We keep our promises to our customers, communities, and each other.
- Progressive - We are always looking for new ways to improve and make life better.
Closing date: Sunday 16th January
If you are looking for a new challenge, please click apply now to be considered as our Communications Officer - we look forward to receiving your application.