Data Scientist / Engineer
Is your next role one where you can take an active role in the design and delivery of data platforms and integrations?
We currently have an exciting new opportunity available for a Data Scientist / Engineer to join our team working in Exeter with a mix of office based working and home working. Joining us on a full-time, permanent basis, you will receive a starting salary of up to GBP46,000 per annum plus excellent benefits.
About the Data Scientist / Engineer role:
As a Data Engineer, you will support the design and building of South West Water's new data architecture. Your work will build the foundation upon which data may be served to applications and data scientists across the Group. This will enable faster, better and predictive modelling and decision making, allowing us to better serve our customers and the environment.
Bringing enthusiasm, technical understanding and an ability to adapt and learn, you will help to optimise existing data infrastructure and pipelines while engaging with teams to deliver next generation data initiatives.
Responsibilities as our Data Scientist / Engineer include:
- Design and implement strategic solutions and data infrastructure to enhance our ability to serve data to the business
- Work with data scientists/analysts in the business to understand their data needs and feed this back to better inform our solution designs
- Conducting research on emerging database, data management, integration and virtualisation technologies and how these may augment South West Water's strategy for data
- Support the business in analysing large data sets and developing reporting solutions
- Recommending and undertaking modifications to data systems to improve security, efficiency, reliability, and performance
- Providing third-line response for complex problems, performing monitoring, diagnosis, and root cause analysis
- Commit to developing your skills through formal training, self-directed learning and continual professional development
Skills and experience we are looking for in our Data Scientist / Engineer:
- 5 GCSEs or equivalent (inc. Maths and English at Grade C or above)
- A degree in computer science, data science or mathematics, or equivalent experience
- In depth SQL knowledge and experience building data pipelines and integrating large datasets or experience working as a Data Scientist with a good knowledge of the underlying data infrastructure that supports analytics
- Experience with object-oriented scripting languages such as C++ and Python[BT1]
- Technical ability to understand complex technical issues and convert into clear action plans/programmes of work
- Ability to work across departments/teams, interacting with technical staff and senior stakeholders alike
What's in it for you:
We know that the support and commitment of our staff is key to our success so you will receive the opportunity for ongoing development and training for a long-term career with us. We're one of the largest companies in the South West and are proud to have been awarded Investors in People recognition.
In return as our Data Scientist / Engineer, we will offer an excellent range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday allowance plus bank holidays
- A discretionary Bonus
- Competitive Contributory Pension
- Access to the Company Sharesave Scheme
- Various health benefits
- And more!
Be yourself, we like it that way. Together, we will build a culture of belonging, where inclusion is instinctive. Diversity is our strength and a reflection of our communities. We care, we value everyone, we celebrate uniqueness.
South West Water is part of the Pennon Group, a very successful and stable business that prides itself on sustainability. We supply reliable, efficient and high-quality drinking water and wastewater services for a population of c. 1.7 million in Cornwall, Devon, and parts of Somerset and Dorset.
We believe that by investing in the future of our region, we are not only improving the quality of life for today's residents and visitors but are also taking responsibility for future generations. Responsibility for the environment is central to this. Our aim is to continually drive-up standards, particularly in the areas that matter most to our customers.
Our core values which are essential to our success are:
- Trusted - We do the right thing for our customers and stakeholders.
- Collaborative - We forge strong relationships working together to make a positive impact.
- Responsible - We keep our promises to our customers, communities, and each other.
- Progressive - We are always looking for new ways to improve and make life better.
Closing date: Sunday 6th February 2022
If you are looking for a new challenge, please click apply now to be considered as our Data Scientist / Engineer -we look forward to receiving your application.