Accountant - Infrastructure
Accountant - Infrastructure
Delivering certainty through the power of experience
Dartford, some flexible remote working
Laing O'Rourke's 2025 Mission to become the recognised leader for innovation and excellence in the construction industry is driven by innovation and with technical excellence in design, manufacturing and construction at its core.
Our Infrastructure Business Unit is seeking to recruit a high calibre Accountant, directly reporting to Dartford based Senior Finance Manager and providing support to other BU Financial leads and wider BU management team. There will be exposure to the business unit leaders, central finance and commercial & operational staff across the business.
This role includes the preparation of monthly financial statements, budgets & forecasts; overseeing preparation and accurate reporting of Joint Venture accounts, adhering to regulatory requirements and ensuring LOR's accounting policies and procedures are complied with. Proactive cash management is also a key to performing well in this role
Key Role Responsibilities
- Preparation of monthly business unit P&Ls, Cash flows and Balance Sheets - including accounting for contract performance and performing variance analysis against budget and forecast. Investigating key variances with the individual project teams and challenging assumptions where necessary.
- Preparation of monthly rolling forecasts, along with quarterly Group submissions and preparation of annual budgets.
- Consolidation of weekly / monthly project cash flow forecasts, understanding the rationale for significant movements and communicating changes proactively.
- Ensure all monthly controls are performed in a timely manner such as balance sheet reconciliations and review.
- Work closely with Joint Venture finance and commercial teams to accurately report the JV financial statements on a monthly basis. Undertake deep dive reviews of JV financial balances to check that controls are being adhered to and figures are being reported accurately.
- Perform financial reviews / credit checks on prospective employers, JV partners and suppliers, liaising with procurement and commercial to communicate any financial risk and make recommendations.
- Support Infra Finance Team in delivering ad-hoc project work (e.g. cash maximisation, efficiency reviews, new accounting standard implementation, IT projects etc).
- Responsible for ensuring that accounting records are prepared and maintained in accordance with statutory obligations and in line with LOR wide policies and principles. Provide maintenance and oversight of financial records for example to ensure costs are recorded in the correct place and new jobs are set up correctly.
- Some experience of reporting to senior management teams
- Commercial awareness and ability to understand long term accounting
- Experience of working across multiple businesses/disciplines
- Strong financial and analytical skills
- Excellent IT skills - particularly Excel and accounting systems and data manipulation
- Business aware and customer focussed
- Qualified accountant (e.g. ACA, ACCA, CIMA) or finalist
- Excellent communication and influencing skills. An ability to communicate effectively at all levels and to build and maintain good working relationships.
- Focussed on meeting deadlines with the ability to prioritise workload
- Candidates must have a record of academic success and a mix of the following personal and professional characteristics:
- Committed, enthusiastic, resilient and collaborative
- Strong team ethic with a desire to share knowledge
- Analytical, flexible and creative. Able to research complex issues and solve poorly defined problems in an innovative way with an attention to detail
Why Laing O'Rourke?
- Because of our passion for innovation, we strive to develop, retain and encourage hardworking people. At Laing O'Rourke, everything we do is underpinned by our dedication to be a great place to work. We know our people are our greatest asset and believe excellence is possible with a forward-thinking and diverse team.
- Exposure to the largest, most complex and innovative projects in the industry and a culture that nurtures passion and expertise in next generation construction methods and technology.
- World class remuneration and benefits package & commitment to extensive training, development and long-term career progression.
- We really value difference at Laing O'Rourke and believe a diverse team drives innovation. We are a global multicultural business committed to the inclusion of all employees, enabling everyone to feel respected & valued for being themselves.
- With a heritage spanning over 160 years, Laing O'Rourke is an internationally focused engineering enterprise with world-class capabilities. We operate an integrated business model comprising the full range of engineering, construction and asset management services delivering single-source solutions for some of the world's most prestigious public and private organisations.
For further details of our Offsite Journey watch here:
Talk to us about flexible, dynamic and part time working. We want to ensure our recruitment process is accessible to all. If you need the application form in an alternative format or you would like to know more about our recruitment process please email