Starting as soon as possible, this full time role will suit an experienced Groundsperson or Gardener. Working 8 hours per day, Monday - Friday (with the occasional Saturday morning on duty), the successful candidate will be physically fit, have experience with the usual equipment required for lawn and hedge maintenance (including PA1 /PA6 certification as an advantage), should have basic plant knowledge and a desire to work as part of a team of 4 Grounds staff of varying experience. The team covers a 24 acre site consisting of ornamental beds, grass and paved areas, sports pitches and established trees and shrubs. The Grounds team also assist with the preparation of outdoor events and activities working alongside the Premises department under one manager. St Mary's prides itself on ensuring that grounds are beautifully presented for the enjoyment of our pupils, parents, staff and visitors and the successful candidate will want to part of this achievement.
The St Mary's School campus is home to St Mary's Calne, St Margaret's Preparatory School and the St Mary's School Sports Centre. Both schools are recognised leaders in the field independent education, and the Sport Centre is open to students, staff and the wider community on a membership basis.
Responsible to the Premises and Grounds Manager, the experienced Gardener will work within a small team that maintains a joint campus of approximately 24 acres of hard and soft landscaping. The successful applicant will possess the skills and experience to maintain lawns, hedges and ornamental gardens, ensuring that grounds are beautifully presented for the enjoyment of our pupils, parents, staff and visitors.
Salary: S9 - S11 Salary Point: GBP20,000 - GBP21,500
Working Hours: Normal hours are Monday to Friday, 8 hours per day (0800 to 1630 with half an hour unpaid lunch break or similar).
Weekend Rota: Required to work on a Saturday from 0700 to 1300 approximately every sixth weekend on a rota basis with a day taken off in lieu the week after. Also required to work at weekends during major school events (currently 2 per year - Founders' Day and Confirmation Day however others may be required in future), with time worked taken off in lieu.
Pension: Arranged through Scottish Widows and available to all employees.
Holiday: 36 days per year (inclusive of Bank Holidays), 3 of which must be taken during the schools' Christmas shut-down. Bank Holidays occurring during term time may be designated as a normal working day
1. Assist with the upkeep and ongoing development of the grounds and gardens throughout the campus ensuring high standards throughout all seasons of the year.
2. Undertake soil cultivation, digging, forking, mulching, watering, raking, weeding, edging, pruning, seed-sowing, bed preparation and the planting of prepared beds.
3. Assist in the ground preparation and installation of hard landscaping in relation to new project work across the campus.
4. Carry out ongoing tasks of keeping the beds, footpaths, car parks and other circulation areas free from litter and other debris.
5. Use, maintain (within the limits of the job holder's capability) and keep records as appropriate of a range of gardening hand tools, basic light machinery and plant including strimmers and leaf blowers.
6. Undertake gritting, salt spreading and snow clearing on car parks, footpaths and other circulation areas as directed.
7. Use, and ensure the correct storage, handling and record keeping of fertilisers, pesticides, weed killers and all hazardous substances in accordance with the COSHH regulations.
8. Ensure that all duties are carried out in accordance with current Health and Safety at Work regulations and, for reasons of safety and security, ensure all equipment, machinery and department buildings are kept safe, secure and clean and tidy at all times.
9. Undergo training as required by the Premises and Grounds Manager or the Estates Bursar and attend team meetings as required.
10. Work alongside other departments such as Premises and PE in the preparation of activities and events.
11. Carry out any other duties reasonably required by the Estates Bursar or the Premises and Grounds Manager within required deadlines.
12. Take instruction from senior staff in the event of an emergency to make areas safe and secure where possible to do so.
- Enthusiastic, honest and reliable with excellent time keeping.
- Able to work both within a team and unsupervised.
- Fit and capable of heavy lifting work.
- Able to work in all seasons and all-weather conditions.
- Willing to take direction from line managers.
- Able to adapt to change and new ways of working.
- Work to high standards at all times.
- Gardening experience and in particular the cultivation of ornamental gardens. • Sound knowledge of use of horticulture related tools, machinery and plant.
- Experience of participating in hard landscaping projects.
- Experience with a web-based task management system (the school uses Flo 360).
- PA1 and PA6 certification for safe use of pesticides.
- Good sense of humour, even when it's wet and cold.
Benefits of working at St Mary's Calne
- Competitive salary and a contributory pension scheme
- Discounted membership of the St Mary's Calne Sports Centre
- Fee remission for daughters educated at St Mary's Calne and for sons and daughters educated at St Margaret's Preparatory School
- Complimentary meals during term time
- Free on-site parking