Job Title: Gardener
Company: Kings Monkton School
Location: Cardiff, CF24 3XL
Kings Monkton School is a successful and thriving independent school for children aged 3-18 years old in the heart of Cardiff. We are currently looking for a gardener to join our successful team. The primary responsibility of this exciting opportunity will be to develop the school site and environment, develop and sustain the KMS allotment and raise awareness of sustainability, bio-diversity and environmental issues.
Contract - 37.5 hours a week, Monday to Friday to be worked between 08.00-17.00.
Full time. Permanent.
Salary - Kings Monkton School SS3 £18,528.41p.a. depending on experience and qualifications.
Qualifications & Experience:
Essential: Evidence of working with children in an educational setting, and
gardening experience. A passion for environmental issues and sustainability.
Desirable: Evidence of qualifications in this area, education to A level (or
equivalent), experience in obtaining Forest School status, relevant work experience in a similar environment such as outdoor education.
Purpose of the job:
- To work with pupils to improve the school environment, develop and raise awareness of sustainability and biodiversity and instil a love for nature and gardening. To plan and deliver a biodiverse school environment that supports wildlife and sustainability.
- To plan, develop and deliver a roof garden that is safe, environmentally friendly and supports children’s learning.
- To develop, establish and maintain the KMS allotment and support its integration into the KMS curriculum, with a focus on healthy eating and sustainability.
- To support opportunities for pupil participation and volunteering, including the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme and other associated accreditation.
- To develop and support the Eco Group within Kings Monkton School and inform, teach and enthuse our pupils about sustainability and the environment.
- Delivering opportunities for pupils outside the classroom to learn and develop their understanding of gardening, sustainability, and biodiversity.
- The planning, development, and maintenance of the KMS allotment and integration into the KMS curriculum.
- Achieving Forest School Status for KMS
- Supporting the development of the Outdoor Education programme
- Delivering sustainability projects within school, wider community and globally
- Lead in the development of the Eco Group and their programme.
- Providing support for pupils, teachers and the whole school as outlined below.
- Communicate and liaise with the pupil leadership group on ongoing progress and development.
- Support enrichment opportunities such as DoE by overseeing pupil volunteers.
- Plan, develop and maintain a City Garden within the school that encourages wildlife, sustainability and environmental awareness in children and supports learning and teaching of the curriculum.
- To develop, establish and maintain the KMS [outside space & internal ‘plants’] allotment.
- To assist with site care maintenance and upkeep of equipment, including equipment checks, logging issues and replacing and repairing damaged equipment.
- To ensure that proper precautions are taken in respect of Health & Safety and ensure that facilities and equipment are checked and appropriately prepared for each session, activity, or event.
- Refreshments Package
- All staff have access to our free refreshments package, which gives staff access to tea, coffee and filtered water throughout the day. Biscuits are also provided free of charge and on Fridays cakes and fruit platters are available for staff during the hours of 10.00-11.15.
- Free brunch during INSET days and complimentary Christmas Dinner. Subsidised end of academic year summer party.
- Free eye tests for all staff. Free winter Flu Vaccination jabs. BUPA Private EAP
- Cyclescheme is the UK's most popular cycle to work benefit, creating more cyclists than any other provider. The cycle to work scheme allows employees to obtain commuter bikes and cycling accessories through Kings Monkton School, whilst spreading the cost over 12 months and making unbeatable savings through a tax break, saving between 25-39% on a new bike for work.
- Techscheme lets you get the latest tech through your employer. You then spread the cost with payments from your salary across 12 months and make National Insurance saving up to 12%. Techscheme is powered by Apple and Currys PC World, so you can choose from over 5,000 products from their incredible range.
Use of Gym
- All staff have access to our refurbished gym and can use the facilities free of charge after school.
Reference ID: KMS_SBM Gardener
Apply for Gardener
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly