Audience Writer (Daily Star)
Competitive + company benefits
At the Daily Star, we're finding ways to reach new audiences every day, and now we want to add two specialist writers to help accelerate that growth. Part of this role will involve having your finger on the pulse of social media to such an extent that you're able to identify posts that make great stories before they go viral - and then turn them into engaging stories. We're looking for journalists who can unearth the next Ronnie Pickering or Wealdstone Raider. Failing that, you'll be the first to track down and chat to the social media sensation everyone's talking about that week. As well as mining Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and Facebook for shareable content that delivers huge traffic on those very platforms, you will also take a strategic approach to targeting other referrers with a wide variety of brilliant, on-brand content. This is an exciting opportunity to be at the forefront of delivering exclusive, original, fun and irreverent stories to the Daily Star website every day. If your stories fit the bill for print, they'll be used in the paper too. This role is suited to someone who's creative, has an eye for the smallest details that make great headlines and has a flair for writing.
Please note we will be reviewing applications for this role as applications are submitted. Due to this the role may close without notice, so please don't delay in your application.
So, who are we?
Hello, we are Reach! You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland's most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express Daily Star and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people.
We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
What will the role involve?
- Source on-brand stories from social platforms including Instagram, TikTok and Twitter
- Develop original ideas for content which will perform well on our platforms
- Liaise with the social media team to maximise opportunities to drive engagement
- Write stories and headlines in a way that encourages people to share them
- Monitor trends and specifically target key referrers
Who are we looking for?
- Understanding of the Daily Star's digital audience and what matters to our readers
Highly skilled and advanced in navigating social media sites
- A sharp eye for a story that's likely to be shared, generate discussion or prompt a laugh
- Flair for writing in emotive, entertaining, witty and irreverent styles
- Experience in a journalist role is essential
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- 25 days holiday per annum
- Contributory pension scheme
- Free wellbeing apps and coaching support
- Simply Health Healthcare Cashplan
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Plus lots of high street discounts
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.