Financial Accountant (Part-Time)
Financial Accountant (Part-Time)
Buckfast Abbey, Devon
Nestled in a valley on the edge of Dartmoor, Buckfast Abbey is home to a working community of Benedictine monks who live according to the monastic rule developed by St Benedict.
Buckfast Abbey has become one of the Westcountry’s top tourist attractions, with 400,000 visitors coming each year to experience the serenity and beauty the Abbey has to offer.
Visitors can learn about the lives of the Benedictine monks, enjoy our extensive, award-winning grounds, attend a host of musical events at the Abbey Church and visit our restaurant and gift shop.
We are now looking for a Financial Accountant to join our Finance function, which covers over 25 accounting entities, churches, schools, accommodation, restaurants, car parks, farms, properties and shops. This is a part-time role, working 24 hours per week with some flexibility for the right candidate.
- Competitive salary
- Generous pension scheme
- Staff discounts across our shops and catering services
- Stunning surroundings
If you are a part or fully qualified accountant looking to build on your existing expertise, this is an amazing opportunity to support the financial health of one of Devon’s most renowned sites.
Once you join us, you will discover a welcoming environment that promotes community and inclusivity. Joining our small finance team, you will access on-the-job training and support to help you integrate into our team and make a success of your role.
So, if you are excited to take on a financial accountancy focused role where you’ll have the chance to make a real difference to our organisation, we’d love to hear from you.
As a Financial Accountant, you will support the smooth running of our Finance function.
We’ve recently implemented new financial accounting and payroll systems, so proficiency in Sage 200 Financials and Sage 50 Payroll software packages will be vital to your success.
Reporting to the Head of Finance and Administration, you will be responsible for:
- Financial accounts preparation, including preparing and posting journals, accruals, prepayments, control account and balance sheet reconciliations and variance analysis
- Preparing tax and VAT returns for the Charity Commission, HMRC, National Statistics and any other regulatory bodies
- Processing payroll, pensions, statistics and Gift Aid claims
- Helping to continually improve financial processes, procedures and controls
- Assisting with internal and external audit processes
- Supporting budget and management accounts preparation
- Support of other team members during busy periods.
- Deputising for the Head of Finance when required
To join us as a Financial Accountant, you will need:
- To be a part or fully qualified Financial Accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent)
- Strong financial accounting skills, ideally with experience in a practice/audit environment
-Thorough knowledge of accounting standards including charity accounting
- Proficiency in both Sage 200 Financials and Sage 50 Payroll, with the ability to train others
- Excellent systems and IT skills, including Sage and Excel
- The willingness to improve processes and generate efficiencies in tasks where possible
- The ability to work to deadlines, work independently or as part of a team and excellent organisational skills
- A team mentality, approachable personality, and flexible approach to a varied role
- To be empathetic to the Catholic ethos of our site and share our values of inclusivity and community
Other organisations may call this role Accountant, Qualified Accountant, Part Qualified Accountant, Accounting Officer, or Accounts Officer. Those from an Accounts, Accounting, Practice, Audit, Finance or Financial background are encouraged to apply.
This role is subject to a DBS check.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the closing date depending on the number of responses received. Please submit your application as soon as possible to ensure it is considered in the selection process.
Webrecruit and Buckfast Abbey are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment.
So, if you are seeking your next challenge as a Financial Accountant, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.