NNL is where your solutions solve real-world problems. As part of our Engineering team, you'll not only be able to get involved with a huge variety of projects, you'll also have lots of opportunity to drive them through from start to finish - allowing you to see the impact your work has in a real-world environment. This is your chance to use your experience, expertise and ingenuity to collaborate with leading scientists. You'll be part of a team that delivers work to benefit society by advancing cleaner energy, protecting the environment and keeping everyone safe.
The role of the Commissioning Manager is to lead or advise a team of engineers in the definition, implementation, delivery and receipt of specified work that achieves safety, functional and business requirements. To personally undertake some of the more complex commissioning tasks as required. To provide specialist commissioning guidance aligning overall plant configuration.
Based at Preston Laboratory with close working relationships with other NNL sites is required which necessitates regular travel to North Wales (dependent upon project).
The Main Responsibilities of a Commissioning Manager:
- Discharging all Commissioning Management Intelligent Customer duties including the oversight and assurance of contractors engaged in commissioning work.
- Ensure the commissioning activities are performed in accordance with the approved testing and commissioning program: including meeting cost and schedule commitments, and to provide a reliable product that meets agreed test acceptance and performance criteria.
- Ensuring testing and commissioning meaningfully demonstrates that the installed systems meet functional configuration and performance requirements.
- Ensuring that commissioning work is controlled in accordance with Engineering arrangements and that all Legal, Regulatory, Contractual and Governance obligations are met.
- Ensuring Shared Best Practice, commissioning methods and procedures are disseminated and used to complete the project commissioning scope.
- Auditing or Assessing, authorising and maintaining the competence (SQEP) of commissioning personnel and contractor key Commissioning personnel.
- Ensure fit for purpose solutions meet agreed performance demands and documents define, preserve the design intent and are organised aligning with the overall plant configuration.
- Ensuring project reports and deliverables are completed to agreed standards of safety, cost, quality and time.
- Provide complex specialist advice and guidance engineering services to multi-Site projects and internal/external customers.
- Support to R&D rig testing.
- Ensure competent, SQEP people are deployed in functional work, defining and supporting training requirements of engineering team.
Essential Criteria for Commissioning Manager:
- Extensive experience in Engineering Commissioning (Mechanical, Instrument / Electrical) Time served Apprenticeship preferred). In addition, will have extensive recent experience working in regulated and quality assured systems in (preferably nuclear) roles where engineering judgement is a key attribute.
- HNC typically gained through apprenticeship) with extensive experience.
- Ability to achieve SC Clearance
Desirable Criteria for Commissioning Manager:
- MEng (Hons). (min 2:2) in relevant engineering discipline with extensive experience in high hazard industry
- Professional Membership:
- Preferred - Chartered Engineer and Fellow
NOTE: For both levels of registration, equivalent experience can be offered in lieu if it is deemed appropriate.About the Company
Grounded in robust science and decades of experience, National Nuclear Laboratory (NNL) is the authoritative voice in the UK and beyond for technological development within the nuclear power sector.
Our unparalleled understanding of the science, challenges and opportunities makes us an unrivalled authority and partner in the field, providing experts, technologies, and access to cutting-edge facilities to organisations around the world.
Harnessing potential technologies and translating them into to industry-ready solutions means our pioneering approach spearheads international improvement and technological progress.
We work on projects as small as drilling a hole to analyse underground wastes with our integrated micro drilling technology, or as large as developing state-of-the-art power systems for spacecraft, based on radioactive materials
NNL has a vision for Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity (ED&I) where NNL aims to be an inclusive workplace that attracts diverse talent through transparent and equal policies and procedures. We want you and the diverse mix of people that we employ, customers that we service and stakeholders that we influence to feel valued. We encourage a workplace culture where everyone can thrive with a sense of belonging.
Recruitment Agency Notice
We operate a strict Preferred Supplier List (PSL) for the provision of recruitment services. Only agencies on our PSL may provide CVs and only when the role is released to them by our recruitment team. We will not accept unsolicited CVs from suppliers not currently on our PSL. We explicitly reserve the right to add candidate details from unsolicited CVs from non-PSL agencies into our own candidate database and to pursue/hire such candidate(s) without any obligation, financial or otherwise, to the agency concerned.
National Nuclear Laboratory