Apprentice IT Technician
Due to the continued growth of our business, a vacancy has arisen for an IT Support Apprentice to join our team as part of our outsourced IT service.
We are based in Huddersfield servicing businesses mainly in the M62 Corridor.
This is a great opportunity for someone to take their first steps into an IT career, whether this be your first role or whether you're looking to change careers. It's an exciting time to be joining our team.
Your main duty will be to provide front-line IT support, which means you'll be the first person the users of our service turn to. Our existing team is renowned for the level of support they provide and the friendly way they engage with the people we support.
You'll be a key part of maintaining those high standards.
In time, this role will become far-reaching, as well as providing telephone and email queries we'll work with you to develop skills in many areas.
Main roles and responsibilities:
- First-line technical support - helping to resolve PC, windows, and peripherals problems and setting up new devices.
- Remote and on-site support
- Programming Cisco network equipment
- Configuring Servers and applications
- Copper and Fibre-Optic cabling
- Remote Access and Remote Working
- Security solutions
- Backup Solutions
- Monitoring our customers' equipment using automated tools
- Pro-active support (Fixing small issues before they become big issues)
- Ensuring maintenance and support contracts are monitored and renewed in a timely fashion.
- Gathering feedback from users of the service with regards to requirements and system improvements.
The successful candidate will enroll in QA's Infrastructure Technician Apprenticeship standard an 18-month qualification, which incorporates both on job & classroom learning.
Desired skills and qualities:
- We can of course help you to develop your communication skills, but you'll need to bring enthusiasm and character to the table.
- You'll be expected to slot right into an established team and immediately contribute.
- You'll need to have tenacity, as sometimes IT problems can be frustrating to resolve.
- You'll need an ability to soak up knowledge.
- Often the answer lies in documentation or online. You can't rely on someone else just knowing the answer.
- You'll need to be able to work effectively as part of a team
- In addition to the very best apprenticeship training, you'll receive a fair salary with regular pay reviews and a friendly working environment.
- As you progress, if you display an aptitude for a specific type of work, we'll try to adjust your training and job list accordingly
- 5 hours per week contracted. (we might want to stress flexibility!)
- Annual holiday of 28 days.
- Option for "3 day weekend" once a month.
- In return, once the person has served their probationary period we'll ask for three months' notice of termination if they wish to leave.
- Applications for this role are invited through our training partner QA Apprenticeships Ltd. They will select a short list of candidates for us to meet with.
Working week: 37.5 hours a week
Salary: GBP8,385 - GBP12,000 Per Annum
- 5 GCSE's, grades A*-C/9-4 or equivalent (including English Language and Maths)
- A full driving license would be advantageous
92% of QA Apprentices secure permanent employment after finishing their apprenticeship. Additionally, there may be opportunities to undertake further apprenticeship training as many of our programmes offer ongoing development tracks.
QA's apprenticeships are funded by the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), an executive agency of the Department for Education.
To be eligible for a Government funded apprenticeship you must have lived in the UK or European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 consecutive years.