Unix Infrastructure Engineer
Want to do the best work of your life? With 24 million customers in 7 countries, make your mark at Europe's leading media and entertainment brand. A workplace where you can proudly be yourself; our people make Sky a truly exciting and inclusive place to work.
What you'll do:
As Unix Infrastructure Engineer, you will be working in the Compute Platform team at Sky which is comprised of deeply passionate and experienced professionals. The team are responsible for the underlying IT infrastructure of the Broadcast side of Sky, and work closely with the application teams that provide some of Sky fantastic products. If you are seeking a role that offers you the opportunity to work through critical issues, to delivering cutting edge technology, you should consider Sky.
- Be responsible for delivery, configuration, maintenance and continual improvement of the IT infrastructure supported by the Compute Platforms team. The estate comprises physical servers, VMWare guests and cloud virtual machines.
- You will provide project build, delivery and support of mainly Linux servers along with on call duties. An ideal candidate will have a passion and skills for automation with a view to working within an SRE type environment.
- Take ownership of technically challenging incidents and requests, ensuring operational issues are managed and progressed as quickly as possible.
- Liaise with 3rd Party vendors and system providers
- Ensure that any changes to existing production platforms are captured in the change management system and performed at a time appropriate to the risk involved.
- Create and maintain documentation
What you'll bring:
- Excellent Linux skills (build, administration, development, trouble shooting)
- Configuration management tools - such as; Ansible, Puppet and Git
- Scripting skills- Bash, Python.
- Understanding of Storage Management, Cluster Technologies e.g. Veritas and TCP/IP Networking
- Experience of Cloud and Virtualisation platforms - such as; VMWare, AWS, Google Cloud.
- Infrastructure experience from the 'Ops' side of 'DevOps', SRE desirable
There's a reason people can't stop talking about #LifeAtSky. Our great range of rewards really are something special, here are just a few:
- Sky Q, for the TV you love all in one place
- A generous pension package
- Private healthcare
- Discounted mobile and broadband
Where you'll work:
Our Osterley campus is a 10-minute walk from Syon Lane train station. Or you can hop on one of our free shuttle buses that run to and from Osterley, Chiswick Park, Gunnersbury,
Acton Town and Ealing Broadway tube stations. There's also plenty of parking, bike shelters and showers.
On campus you'll find six subsidised restaurants and a Waitrose. You can keep in shape at our subsidised gym, catch the latest shows and movies at our cinema, get your car washed and even get pampered at our beauty salon.
Recognised as an 'Inclusive Top 50 Employer' and a 'Times Top 50 Employer for Women', we're working hard to ensure we're a truly inclusive place to work. This means we don't just look at your CV. We're more focused on who you are and the potential you'll bring to Sky. We also know that everyone has a life outside work, so we're open to discussing where and when you do your job, as long as we can balance your needs with those of our customers.
And we'll do everything we can to support you during your application. If you need us to make any adjustments to our recruitment process, speak to our recruitment team who will be happy to support you.
Apply now to build an amazing career and be part of a brilliant team. We can't wait to hear from you.
To find out more about working with us, search #LifeAtSky on social media. A job you love to talk about.
Just so you know: if your application is successful, we'll ask you to complete a criminal record check. And depending on the role you have applied for and the nature of any convictions you may have, we might have to withdraw the offer.