Game Client Engineer
Dovetail Games takes its staff well-being and safety seriously so we are all currently working remotely during the pandemic. We have learned a different way of working together as a team and hiring remotely. We are growing fast, developing our games using cutting-edge technology and delivering these on multiple platforms: PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One as well as Next Generation platforms, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X.
About the role:
Our people can be based "where they do their best work" from either our HQ, a river front office in the Historic Dockyard Chatham, or from their home. However occasional travel to HQ office will be required for key meetings and events.
Do you want to work in the Gaming Industry? We are looking for an Game Client Engineer to help build the next evolution of our content sharing platforms. Reporting to the Senior Development Manager for our Dovetail Live team, you will work on the integration of user-generated content services into our game titles. This is an exciting opportunity to be a key player in shaping one of our cornerstone features for the future.
Your role will see you interfacing across studio teams, with close involvement with the game titles' engineering and design groups, together with our QA, publishing and community teams. You will be responsible for the delivery of systems to a standard compliant with industry platform holders' expectations, and will have opportunity to engage with them where required to see things through.
At Dovetail Games we are passionate about empowering our people to build beautiful worlds, craft breath-taking games and do the best work of their career to deliver our vision: "By Enthusiasts, For Enthusiasts".
We are situated in a river-front studio in the heart of the Historic Dockyard in Kent, UK. We are growing fast, developing our games using cutting-edge technology and delivering these on multiple platforms: PC, PlayStation 4&5 and Xbox One, Series S&X.
- You will be responsible for the development of APIs to handle the transfer of content between game clients and backend DTL services, working directly with server engineers to architect and engineer optimal, robust and secure transfer solutions.
- You will be responsible for implementing frontend systems to provide our players seamless access to shared community in-game content, and allow them to contribute to it.
- Designing, implementing and testing of new systems & features to an exceptional quality
- Planning and participation of estimation of work
- Working within a team of software engineers on a personal level
- Contributing towards decisions on software architecture
- Professional experience with UE4 (or similar) across multiple platforms
- Excellent communication skills
- Solid C++ software engineering skills, with an ability to program clearly, efficiently, and evolve your style and practices where required
- Experience with online systems and/or Content Management Systems
- Experience of UI/UX programming
- Good understanding of debugging, profiling, analysis and optimisation
- A passion for delivering quality software
- Degree in Computer Science or similar, or in place of a degree, 5+ years of professional experience
- Experience working with a similar remit in a parallel industry
- A demonstrable history of building successful online systems
- Solid multi-threading experience
- Health Cash Plan
- Remote working
- Flexible Working
- Tech Cash Plan
- Cycle to work
- Free Parking
- Free snacks and fruit
- On site showers
- Initial Chat
- 1st Stage
- 2nd Stage