Senior Back End Developer
Oodle Car Finance is changing the way people buy cars, by putting our customers' needs front and centre of the biggest retail market in the UK. We are bringing the used-car market bang up to date by building modern, digital, retail processes around what the customer actually needs. Although we primarily provide loans for our customers and link them up with some of the UK's best car dealers (in one rapid, blink-and-you-miss-it, digital procedure), that is just the start.
Our ultimate goal is to make buying a car as easy as buying a t-shirt on Amazon. With a glove box full of powerful algorithms (and investment from some of the world's most reputable financial institutions) we have been building and developing a customer-first, fully integrated digital retail experience inspired by Amazon's one-click model. We're not quite there yet, but with our proprietary loan technology, machine learning, and Big Data infrastructure, we're shooting for the stars.
About the role:
Oodle is one of the fastest growing fintech companies in the UK. We're directly impacting real peoples lives by enabling the fairest, quickest and most customer-centric motor finance product on consumer market. As we scale up from 500 employees, we need more talented individuals to join our amazing team that is leading the way in new product innovation. You can be based either in our Oxford HQ or our London or Manchester offices, or fully remote within the UK if you prefer.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a team of four specialised in technical solutions that help combat fraud and financial crime across the Oodle platform that connects consumers, automotive dealerships and lending facilities. Over the next few months there are multiple projects including integrations with 3rd party anti-fraud and Open Banking solutions, automation of payment verifications and enhancements to KYC processes. All of which will give customers and regulators further confidence in one of the most secure lending platforms in the UK without compromising on our legendary customer experience!
Teams at Oodle are cross-functional, self-driving, and empowered programs. The key features of the structure are:
- The teams contain at least one product owner and mixture of engineers with specialist backgrounds in web, mobile and back-end engineering.
- We practice Scrum/Kanban and make "bets" to achieve objectives that we agree quarterly.
- Each program defines a clear charter and tenets to give them clear ownership boundaries and a framework within which decisions can be made quickly and autonomously.
- Programs typically communicate with stakeholders through weekly and monthly business meetings where there is a focus on progress on metrics to meet agreed objectives. They also use show-and-tells and company meetings to showcase their work.
- Work is not siloed, and stakeholders are important - we value collaboration and teamwork.
- AWS - Including EKS, RDS, SNS and SQS
- Docker, Kubernetes
- Java 11+ (Spring: Boot, Cloud, Data, Security)
- Git and GitHub
- A full CI/CD pipeline with intra-day deployments to production
You will need to communicate effectively across the business with multiple stakeholders in a fast-moving environment and be able to take ownership of projects whilst creating and managing your own workload, based on the current goals of the team.
As a senior member of the team, you will have a major influence on the direction and technical architecture of our anti-fraud solutions, hiring and training of Java engineers, work estimations and assisting the Program Leads with the overall delivery process.
Required technical skills needed:
- Expert/senior level of Java software engineering
- Experience with microservices within a data-heavy environment
- CI/CD pipelines
- Implementation of finance, fintech, payment or similar applications
- Experience within anti-fraud or financial crime software
- Data modelling
- Pension (9% non-contributory)
- AXA Healthcare family cover with dental, optical and confidential mental health support
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Oodle Academy for training and development
- Caboodle - Rewards&Perks scheme
- Paid day off to volunteer with nominated charity
- Complimentary fresh fruit, drinks, great coffee, breakfast cupboard
- Seasonal social events - like OodleFest summer festival
- Season Travel Ticket Loans
- Mentoring scheme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Lean In Circle
- Fitness Room - personal training/ boot camp (Oxford)
- Ultra-flexible working!
- Initial screening (online)
- Take home technical task
- Hiring manager interview (online)
- Leadership interview & personality assessment (online)