Head of Business Support
Bovey Tracey, Newton Abbot, Devon
Dartmoor National Park Authority is the body that oversees the vibrant, living, working landscape and community that is Dartmoor.
With the iconic Dartmoor ponies, breath-taking tors and beautiful villages, we work to conserve and enhance Dartmoor, supporting the associated businesses and communities in partnership with local and national stakeholders.
We protect and maintain the natural habitats and help people understand and enjoy the special qualities of Dartmoor National Park, maintain public access to this beautiful space, provide the ranger service and act as the planning authority.
We are now looking for a Head of Business Support to oversee all aspects of our financial processes.
- Grade 8 - salary £43,857 - £46,845 per annum, plus special responsibility allowance for CFO (Section 151) responsibilities, (currently £4,275 per year)
- Flexitime working arrangements
- Membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme
This is the ideal opportunity for a high calibre finance professional with extensive accounting experience and a CCAB qualification to advance their career and take the financial reins of our incredible National Park.
We take responsibility for the breath-taking Dartmoor landscape which has inspired novels, music, television, movies and the arts and we take this seriously. Your role will be of key importance to the success of Dartmoor, its infrastructure and the people who manage the area.
So, if you are keen to play a key role in the management of the landscape that inspired War Horse and The Hound of the Baskervilles and can display the skills and experience listed here, this is the role you’ve been waiting for.
As the Head of Business Support, you will be responsible for the full range of accountancy and treasury management services and financial advice to the Dartmoor National Park Authority.
Advising and assisting our Chief Executive, you will play a key role in budgeting and financial planning for the National Park. You will also act as the allocated Section 151 Officer for the Authority, overseeing the proper administration of our affairs.
Providing high-quality professional advice and support to staff and Members of the Authority, you will oversee our Finance, ICT and administration services and the management of our properties and vehicle fleet. This will include purchasing and leasing of vehicles, an efficient and effective ICT service and the negotiation of leases, maintenance reviews and improvement programmes for properties.
Additionally, you will lead the annual review and preparation of our Annual Governance Statement and Local Code of Corporate Governance.
To be considered as the Head of Business Support, you will need:
- A CCAB qualification
- At least five years’ post qualification experience at a senior accountancy level including the management of staff, budgets, and information
- Extensive accountancy and finance knowledge and experience including annual budgets and Medium-Term Financial Plans, Year-end Financial Accounts and all aspects of financial management
- Knowledge of the Code of Practice on Local Authority Accounting, Service Reporting Code of Practice, Prudential Code, and International Financial Reporting Standards
- Capital accounting experience including managing fixed asset registers and asset management planning
- An understanding of customer service; adapting services so that they are continually responsive to changing needs
- Extensive management skills including direct line appraisals and managing people within a team culture
Depth of knowledge in all aspects of Public Sector procurement processes and procedures would be beneficial to your application, as would knowledge of data protection and information security.
Experience of managing administrative and/or other business support functions within a multi-function organisation, continuously improving the organisation’s use of resources (i.e., Finance, ICT, property & data) in ways that are sustainable for the future and concentrate on cost reduction would also be an advantage.
Experience of contract negotiation would be equally favourable, as would an understanding of the role of Local Government and/or National Park Authorities and the application of accountancy and reporting requirements for Local Government and/or National Park Authorities.
Other organisations may call this role Head of Finance, Head of Accountancy, Management Accountant, Finance Director, or Head Accountant.
The closing date for this role is the 21st June 2021 with interviews scheduled to be held on the 12th July 2021.
Dartmoor National Park Authority is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
So, if you’re seeking your next challenge as a Head of Business Support, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.