INFORMATION & SUPPORT OFFICER
Information and Support Officer
Salary: £20,000 - £22,500
Hours: 37 hours per week
Contract: Permanent (Subject to contract extension)
Base: Home based, although some travel throughout Leicester and Leicestershire will be required
Start date - As soon as possible
Healthwatch Leicester and Healthwatch Leicestershire is the local statutory Healthwatch provider. We are the independent champion for people who use health and social care services in Leicester and Leicestershire. Our job is to make sure that those who run local health and care services understand and act on what really matters to people. We listen to what people like about services and what could be improved.
We share what people tell us with those with the power to make change happen. We encourage services to involve people in decisions that affect them. We also help people find the information they need about services in their area. We are looking for passionate and committed individuals to work with us to provide high quality Healthwatch services to the people of Leicester and Leicestershire.
You will be responsible for coordinating and delivering a range of engagement activities with the general public and stakeholders to collect feedback, public views and experiences of health and social care services.
- You will provide generic support, (including community involvement) to the staff team
- Support the delivery of work programs and special projects
- You will be responsible for website content management, whilst also covering other social media (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook)
- You will develop and enhance digital engagement
- To take call, answer emails and letters, providing information and signposting to members of the public, ensuring all data is recorded in a database. Produce monthly reports to analyse the data and produce information on key themes and trends.
- Develop and monitor delivery of Healthwatch’s communication plan with the team members, Healthwatch members and key partners. Research and disseminate information at appropriate levels for Healthwatch board, members and the wider public.
- Developing a centre-based information, advice and signposting service that has effective links and referral system to relevant services across Leicester and Leicestershire.
- To signpost the public to appropriate health, social care, and advocacy services on request, and maintain an up-to-date database of information resources.
- To provide support to the Manager by arranging meetings, outreach sessions, booking rooms, preparing the papers, completing data input of surveys, transcribing focus groups, and updating the monthly action log.
- Develop strong links into local communities and with local health and care stakeholders, particularly in the voluntary and community sector.
- Ensure standards of good customer service at all times.
What we need you to do
- Work on your own initiative as well as with colleagues to help plan and deliver a range of engagement activities across our area in line with our strategic priorities.
- Maintain an evidence-based approach to collecting feedback from local communities, groups, organisations and individuals about local health and social care services, particularly from those who find it harder to access service or share their views.
- Run a range of programmed/ planned engagement activities – both online and offline – such as workshops, drop-ins and hosting information stands to find out people’s views and facilitate their involvement.
- Help market engagement activities through digital and non-digital routes – including updating the website, sharing information on social media channels and with targeted community contacts.
- You will participate in and support relevant research/ projects
- Support the team with sharing engagement campaign materials via the organisation’s social media channels.
- Help support Healthwatch volunteers to undertake engagement activities, particularly around developing online engagement on social channels.
- Make links and assist in the development of a database of contacts to develop partnership approaches with other community and health and care organisations.
- Work with others to ensure that seldom heard voices are represented, such as people from minority ethnic communities, people with sensory and learning disabilities and those from our more deprived communities.
- Attend meetings as requested, representing the voice of local people through the remit of Healthwatch Leicester and Leicestershire
This job Is ideal if you are motivated to:
- Help improve and raise better awareness of health and social care services by empowering and involving local people to share their feedback.
- Be creative and enjoy innovative work.
- Make a difference and see the impact of your work on other people’s lives.
- Be responsive to deal with constantly changing priorities.
Experience and skills required for this role
- An awareness of key local issues in health and social care, and an understanding of how health and social care services are provided locally.
- Knowledge of the local voluntary and community sector.
- Experience of working with people in a supportive role and helping them to get information, services, or share their experiences.
- Experience of maintaining a work or club social media profile and creating content using pictures, videos, and words – minimum one year.
- Understanding and use of community engagement techniques to involve people. This includes nurturing dialogue and active listening, facilitating communications activities, working with community groups and ensuring that your chosen techniques are sensitive to and accessible to the people you are trying to engage.
- Experience of working with and motivating volunteers.
- Flair for building relationships and building networks.
These criteria will be assessed through a combination of the Application Form, the task to be completed at the interview stage and the formal interview.
- Experience in delivering advice, information, and signposting services in a community setting.
- Experience of organising community events, public meetings and workshops.
- Experience of organising and prioritising a demanding workload.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and the ability to engage and build relationships with a range of stakeholders, from senior managers to members of the public.
- Strong planning and time-management skills - the ability to prioritise in the face of competing demands.
- You will need to be IT literate and be proficient in Office, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- The ability to work equally well in a team unsupervised.
- An enthusiastic and creative approach to community involvement and empowerment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with a range of people using varying methods of communication.
- Possess a flexible attitude to work - able to work evenings and weekends, when necessary.
- An interest in, knowledge of, or willingness to learn about health, public health, and social care services in Leicester and Leicestershire.
- A good understanding or, or willing ness to learn about Healthwatch, its purpose, principles, and functions.
- An understanding of the different types of marketing and communications media, including electronic and social media.
- To be confident in building positive relationships with media contacts locally.
You will need to be:
• Organised • Approachable • Trustworthy and confidential • Passionate and committed • Empathic, calm, and patient • Respectful • Reliable • Professional • Commitment to excellence in customer service • Commitment to equality, diversity, and inclusion.
Healthwatch Leicester and Healthwatch Leicestershire believe all communities should have a voice that is heard to make sure health and care services understand and respond to their needs.
This new post will be managed by our Deputy Manager.
Additional requirements of this post
a) Contribute to the development of Healthwatch through suggestions for ongoing improvement.
b) Adopt a professional and friendly approach in understanding and responding to public’s needs.
c) Comply with all policies and procedures and work according to best practice principles regarding equal opportunities, safeguarding and health and safety.
d) Abide by Healthwatch Leicester and Healthwatch Leicestershire’s values and principles and adhere to its equal opportunity and other policies and procedures.
e) Undertake training as required to meet the requirements of the job description.
f) Carry out any other reasonable duties within the overall purpose of the post.
g) Work to the standards described in Healthwatch policies.
h) A DBS check will be required for this post.
Closing date for applications is 27TH MAY 2021.