Quality, Health Safety and Environment Lead
Quality, Health Safety and Environment Lead
Brigg Renewable Energy Plant
Reporting to the Plant Manager responsible for the development and maintenance of quality, health, safety and environmental arrangements at Brigg Renewable Energy Plant.
Responsible for ensuring the sites QHSE culture is led from a Behavioural Safety perspective and developed in line with a continuous learning ethos, ongoing compliance with key legislative and internal governance and development against identified QHSE KPI’s.
Carry out other such responsibilities and duties commensurate with the position as required by the company.
Travel between Brigg and other BWCS UK sites may be required and some other occasional ad-hoc national and international travel will be required to fulfil the role.
- Provide leadership and engagement to embed a culture of continuous improvement with respect to QHSE, acting as the site focus for Behavioral Safety and compliance with relevant Health, Safety and Environmental legislation and local instructions.
- Implement, develop and review the sites QHSE arrangements, in line with ISO9001, 14001 and 45001, to ensure adherence with all site procedures and local instructions, to provide a robust quality system and an Integrated Management System(IMS).
- Embed the above systems into general use through the siters PORTAL and ensure training and development of staff is provided in their use and general awareness.
- Responsible for monitoring the sites QHSE performance, identifying and taking proactive measures to improve performance shortfalls.
- Responsible chair for the sites QHSE committee.
- Responsible for Environmental Agency reporting including Quarterly, Annual, PI and ad-hoc requirements.
- Provide QHSE guidance and support to the site teams as required, including assisting or leading with incident investigations to ensure root cause is identified and embed all learning within the unit(s).
- Responsible for ensuring detailed incident reports are produced for all health, safety, environmental and quality incidents.
- Review 3rd party QHSE competence, prior to engaging in the supply of services.
- Ownership, management and development of the sites incident management system.
- Responsible for the development and management of the sites QHSE audit process.
- Liaise with Client and off-site legislative bodies and provide reports as required concerning key metrics such as safety statistics and environmental performance and EA reporting.
- Undertake the role/responsibility as BREP’s Designated Waste Officer as per SMI Waste Management
- Undertake the role/responsibility as BREP’s Designated Fire Protection Officer
- Undertake the role/responsibility as BREP’s Appointed Person for First Aid
- Represent BREP on the GS UK Ltd Safety Committee
- Adhere to all Company Policies & Procedures (including but not limited to) those specified in the Employment Handbook, H&S Policy and IMS System.
- Support the wider BWSC teams on short term secondments where appropriate.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of NEBOSH(Certificate) or above in safety training
- Environmental IOSH or above
- HNC or degree educated with a high level of practical thermal/process plant operational experience. (Qualifications below this may be acceptable if accompanied by suitable experience)
Skills & Experience
- Knowledge and experience of biomass or thermal power plant process, permit and safety systems.
- Knowledge and experience of UK safety legislation and Environmental Permit and Waste regulations.
- Knowledge of ISO9001/ 14001 /45001 and their application
- Computer literate with Microsoft Office suite, Intra/Internet and MS project and ideally previous CMMS experience.
- Five years’ experience in a QHSE role.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills in English.
- Good interpersonal skills, self-motivated, flexible and committed attitude.
- Full UK Driving Licence
Self-motivated individual with exceptional organisational and interpersonal skills, suited to an entrepreneurial, fast paced, value-driven culture, with very high corporate performance and ethical standards.
The individual will need to be comfortable working in a lean structure, should be highly customer focused, possess strong ethical and moral standards and be willing to assume significant personal accountability.
Key characteristics of the successful candidate:
- The ability to work unsupervised and take responsibility at all times including during dynamic situations.
- Completer/Finisher able to deliver results on schedule.
- Affable and flexible personality.
- Ability to work with all levels of the organisation.
- Strong work ethic