Auditor Career Grade
Barnsley Council have an exciting opportunity for a high-quality Auditor (Career Grade) with significant local authority experience to join our Team to cover a period of absence until 31st March 2022. In return will receive a competitive salary ofGBP24,982 - GBP34,728 per annum (Career Graded).
The Auditor (Career Grade) role:
This is a busy team with a wide variety of clients and areas where we undertake audit work and so you will need to be able to work at pace but with accuracy and an ability to meet timescales and standards. You will need to 'hit the ground running', utilising your experience of internal auditing within a local authority context.
The working arrangements will include largely working from home, some potential site visits and office based as the national and local restrictions allow.
Key responsibilities of our Auditor (Career Grade):
- Undertake and ensure that all audit activities are in accordance with the Public Sector Internal Audit Standards (PSIAS) and those prescribed within the Internal Audit Quality Procedures.
- Assist with the monitoring of assigned work to ensure the delivery of tasks are within the time allocated, to the necessary professional standards, and to the achievement of service objectives and performance measures.
- Liaise, negotiate and maintain effective levels of communication and liaison with executive level senior/chief officers and external review bodies across all client organisations in the delivery of work to assist them in meeting their corporate responsibilities in relation to controls, risk and governance.
- Undertake specific, ad hoc and urgent requests for audit involvement as directed by management including reviews of projects, programmes, systems and any advice required on matters of internal control, risk and governance.
- Prepare and present high quality and timely draft audit reports and report findings to a range of internal and external stakeholders including senior management (in all client organisations).
- Contribute to the continued development and improvement of the function by sharing innovative ideas and experiences and supporting a collegiate approach.
- Assist in the maintenance of high levels of accuracy and compliance with data quality and procedures within the audit management system.
- Use of specialist software utilised to assist in the delivery of audit work.
- Maintain appropriate levels of communication and liaison with executive, chief, senior and client officers of the Council and external clients to ensure effective joint working and co-operation and excellent client relations.
- Any other duties commensurate with the grade and falling within the scope of the post, as requested by management.
Qualifications and Experience we're looking for in our Auditor (Career Grade):
- Ideally you will be IIA qualified or partly so, and/or have an NVQ Level 4 qualification in a relevant field.
- We utilise the MKInsight audit management system and experience of this or other audit management systems would be desirable.
- Experience of using MS Teams, Zoom or Skype to undertake audit meetings and present reports would be highly desirable.
- Basic knowledge of the PSIAS, audit techniques, practices, procedures and statutory regulations and their application or an equivalent professional standards or regulatory framework.
- A basic understanding / appreciation of the principles of internal control, risk management and governance within the public sector or general organisation environment.
Skills we're looking for in our Auditor (Career Grade):
- Excellent communication skills.
- An ability to organise and deliver audit work to a high standard.
- Familiar with the requirements of the Public Sector Internal Audit Standards and have a commitment to 'right first time'.
- Good knowledge and appreciation of confidentiality, data protection issues and an ability to work unsupervised.
- Ability to play a key role in the delivery of the audit plans.
- Contribute to a team ethos which encourages the sharing of constructive ideas across the team.
- Display the traits of an effective and motivational leader.
- Ability to demonstrate a strong customer and client focus to contribute towards the development of strategies and delivery of operational work plans.
- Ability to work in a performance managed environment including the ability to manage your own challenging and diverse workload under pressure and to deadlines.
- Able to use your own initiative and demonstrating skill in flexible work prioritisation, organisation and time management.
Closing date: Friday 14th May 2021
To achieve your ambitions while shaping a bright future for our communities, apply now to become our Auditor (Career Grade).