Personal Models Specialist - Risk
Business Unit: Personal Models
Salary: GBP38,882 - circa GBP48,000
Location: Leeds, Newcastle, Glasgow are ideal but we're flexible
Contract Type: Full time, Permanent
In our quest to make things better, we never stop looking at how every bit of banking works. We sweat the small stuff, because we know it makes a big difference for our customers. But at the heart of this are our people - who we couldn't do without. Our bold and brilliant colleagues who bring their A game every single day. The question is - are you ready to bring yours?
And that's where our Risk department come in. They provide us with a fool proof framework to make decisions that we know will keep our customers' and investors' money safe. They are always safeguarding our bank from an array of risks that could pop up at any moment.
As part of the Personal Models team you'll help to secure the foundations of our business decisions by providing quantitative and qualitative analysis across our model suite, providing solutions support the acquisition of new business, risk based account management and manage the bank's capital across it's Personal portfolios.
Day to day you'll be responsible for???
• Leading complex model development projects and analysis; providing input into the scoping, design, development, validation and implementation of personal models, in line with Bank standards and regulatory compliance requirements.
• Providing first class model documentation and recommendation papers to governance committees explaining complex outcomes in a way that all stakeholders can understand - keeping it straightforward!
• Engage with model management to ensure that changes in model performance are addressed effectively.
• Support coaching and development of Risk Analysts, prioritising tasks and developing technical capabilities.
• Gain support for model changes from key stakeholders both within and external to Group Credit Models.
• Deputise for your line Manager as a subject matter expert in cross function meetings and committees.
• Participate in and facilitate networks in Risk and across the wider Bank.
There are a few essentials you need to bring???
• Experience in Banking and Risk Management, ideally in an IRB bank.
• Experience in building trusted relationships.
• Experience in an environment that drives strong commercial understanding and utilises the interpretation of complex data collation and analysis to identify effective data and systems capabilities.
• Experience of leading model development projects and presenting results to senior management.
• Strong analytical skills and the ability to solve complex problems independently.
• Expertise in the use of statistical analysis software (e.g. R, SAS) as well as MS Office.
• Excellent communication, listening and writing skills. An ability to present analysis, both written and verbally, in a clear, concise and confident manner.
• Ability to overcome obstacles, be accountable and use your initiative to do the right thing.
It's a bonus if you have ???.but not essential
• Influencing skills; the ability to form arguments and to deliver them effectively.
• Coaching/mentoring experience.
• A good degree in a numerate discipline subject (e.g. maths, statistics, economics etc).
• Knowledge of the Basel Capital Requirements Regulation.
We really need you to have the skills and experience listed in the essentials section above, but the rest is just our wish list, so please don't let that put you off applying, we'd love to hear from you!
Inclusion at Virgin Money
Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do here at Virgin Money. It's good for you, it's good for us and it's amazing for our customers. We know that great minds don't think alike, so we rely on your diverse thoughts, feelings, beliefs and backgrounds to be the best we can possibly be. Got any questions about this or need some support with your application? We'd love to hear from you so get in touch with our friendly team at or
Point to note???
At the minute, depending on which team you are joining, lots of us are working from home. This is something that may change over time, and if so, we will come together in one of our hub locations, giving you the chance to meet your new colleagues in person. We will of course, make sure you have the IT equipment to access our systems and to interact digitally with your new team and colleagues, but we thought it best to let you know this in advance, so you can make sure you are set up to work safely and productively. If you have any questions on this let us know!
Now the legal bit???
If we offer you a job and you accept, there are some checks we need to complete before you can start with us. This will include a credit and criminal record check, as well as providing 3 years' worth of satisfactory references.