Alternative Water Supply Technician
We currently have an Alternative Water Supply Technician position available for a motivated individual to join our team based at Crownhill Distribution Depot Plymouth. Joining us on a full time, permanent basis, you will receive a competitive salary of GBP21,000 - GBP22,000 per annum (depending on attainment of a HGV License) and an additional circa GBP4,000 shift enhancement with overtime standby and callout payments applicable to standby and non shift hours work, also contribute to the company pension scheme plus other benefits.
South West Water is part of the Pennon Group, a very successful and stable business which prides itself on sustainability. We provide reliable, efficient and high-quality drinking water and wastewater services for a population of c. 1.7 million in Cornwall, Devon, and parts of Somerset and Dorset.
We believe that by investing in the future of our region, we are not only improving the quality of life for today's residents and visitors but are also taking responsibility for future generations. Responsibility for the environment is central to this. Our aim is to continually drive up standards, particularly in the areas that matter most to our customers.
Our core values which are essential to our success are:
Trusted - We do the right thing for our customers and stakeholders.
Collaborative - We forge strong relationships working together to make a positive impact.
Responsible - We keep our promises to our customers, communities and each other.
Progressive - We are always looking for new ways to improve and make life better.
We know that the support and commitment of our staff is key to our success so you will receive the opportunity for ongoing development and training for a long-term career with us. We're one of the largest companies in the South West and are proud to have been awarded Investors in People recognition. In return, we offer an excellent range of benefits which include free car parking at the majority of our sites, company Sharesave Scheme, and various health benefits.
As our Alternative Water Supply Technician, you will provide repair, maintenance, operation and deployment of alternative water supply equipment (AWS) within the South West network operational areas. Reporting to Network Asset Manager, you will be required to ensure the AWS equipment and materials are always in a state of repair and operation such that deployments can be made rapidly and with confidence that all items are hygienic and operable.
Some kit is deployed on a rare occasion, this kit needs to be exercised frequently to maintain standby operability. You will be required to exercise this kit by scheduled task.
Responsibilities as our Alternative Water Supply Technician will include:
- Ensuring that the Health, Safety & Security policies and standards are adhered to at all times
- Undertaking all necessary operational maintenance, repair and exercising of the AWS equipment
- Maintaining items and consumables
- Deploying and operating AWS kit when required - In and out of hours
- Maintenance and repair of supply interruption mitigation equipment
- Ensuring company Supply Interruption ODI is at the forefront of all operations
- Working in accordance with all associated QMS procedures and ensuring an awareness level of them is maintained through self learning / understanding
- Being aware off and compliant with all requirements to protect the environment as consequence of network operational duties
- Supporting and undertaking any such other activities needed within the Water Distribution network to ensure its operation
- Carrying out all requisite tasks in such a way that contamination is prevented and to understand what action to take in the event of a contamination or a suspected contamination
- Participating in defined standby and call out rotas as necessary to maintain the effective delivery of Drinking Water Service
What we are looking for in our ideal Alternative Water Supply Technician:
- Good general standard of education with a minimum of a GCSE Grade C or equivalent in English, Maths and a Science
- City and Guilds in relevant subject or NVQ Water Distribution Control Level 2 (desirable)
- EUSR water Hygiene Certificate
- Generally experienced in mechanical duties
- Proven experience of working within a water supply environment
- Proven track record of working to deadlines
- Good organisational skills, self motivation and the ability to prioritise workload when working alone
- Large Goods vehicle license C+E
- Driver Certificate of Professional Competency (CPC)
- HIAB certificated (Vehicle Mounted Hydraulic loader) (desirable)
- A flexible approach to working hours which may include participation in a standby rotation
Closing date: 16th April 2021
If you are looking for a new challenge, please click apply now to be considered as our Alternative Water Supply Technician - we look forward to receiving your application.