Your new role
Here at Highways England, our Engineers work with a sense of pride as they get to see their hard work benefiting our customers every day out on the network. We currently have a brand new opportunity for a Structures Engineer to join our team. The successful candidates will be undertaking the identification of asset needs and developing early solutions for the asset class in scope. You will be supporting senior members of the team to develop and deliver maintenance and improvement schemes that ensure the Strategic Road Network safely meet the requirements of our customers now and in the future.
You will be required to drive as part of your role and you will need to have a full clean driving license to be considered for this position
- Undertake the identification and evaluation of asset data and needs to develop early solutions, in line with agreed methodologies and prioritisation criteria
- Develop early solutions for improvements, including the compiling of relevant documents, evidence and options for value management, considering life expectancy, buildability and costs
- Prepare briefs and manage delivery of survey works
- Develop the technical briefs to the design and build contractor
- Monitor the delivery of agreed early solutions and plans, liaising with the relevant teams to identify and rectify issues
- Ensure that asset data and condition information is captured and maintained in the relevant systems in line with agreed standards and timescales
- Assists with developing the Region's asset led forward programme and initial scheme
- Provide technical support to project managers and other team members
- Recommends improvements in the development of asset management processes and approaches
To be successful
- Good understanding of the highway sector
- Understanding of asset management decision making and prioritisation (e.g. capital investment, lifecycle costs, value optimisation, service and availability optimisation, social and economic knowledge)
- Good stakeholder management and communication skills
- Strong customer focus
- Proficient in MS Office productivity tools
- Experienced in inspections and small works
- Experience in relevant construction and delivery methods
- Knowledge of Highways England stakeholders
- Knowledge of asset management systems and datastores (desirable)
- Experienced in remote working without supervisions
A bit about us
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We're proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it - then you'll be a great fit for our organisation
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.