Reporter - Hull Live
£Competitive + excellent company benefits
Closing date: 30/03/2021
Do you want to work for one of the country's most creative and successful regional newsrooms?
Hull Live is the go-to, award-winning platform for news, sport and information covering Hull and East Yorkshire.
We have a fantastic team of journalists providing rolling, breaking news coverage through the week, as well as investigations, campaigns and community reporting. We are one of the top 15 websites in the UK regional news market, according to Comscore.
Now we need a journalist to join our team and help us grow even further.
We are looking for candidates with excellent storytelling techniques, superb social media skills, and a deep understanding of how to make content engaging. We need an enthusiastic, ideas-driven reporter who can tell stories in words, pictures, video and audio in a way that engages with our audiences.
We're looking for fresh ideas and new perspectives from people from a wide range of backgrounds, and we want you to tell us the stories you believe are important from our many communities so we can continue to diversify our content. Here at Reach, we strongly believe in the benefits of flexible working, work/life balance and autonomy in our day to day jobs.
- Telling stories through pictures, video, audio, live blogs and other interactive digital storytelling tools, using innovative techniques that grow audiences and engagement
- Taking a 'right-first-time' approach to all content and have a pedantic attitude to accuracy
- Identifying breaking news by utilising social media as a way to quickly establish further factual information that will support stories
- Using a range of digital formats that will enhance coverage and increase brand visibility
- Providing live coverage of news and events for live blogs and breaking news as required
- Writing content responsively, driven by analytics to deliver on audience trends
- Taking responsibility for a content theme such as a geographic area, campaign or another area of interest, as directed
- Effectively build strong contacts for story-gathering in local communities
The Ideal Candidate
- Ideally, you will possess an NCTJ-accredited or equivalent journalism qualification
- Candidates with 100wmp shorthand will be at an advantage
- Experience working in a newsroom
- Understanding of digital publishing including SEO
- Solid understanding of social media and comfortable using social publishing tools
- Up-to-date legal and IPSO code knowledge
- Full driving licence
So, who are we?
Hull Live is part of Reach plc. You might not have heard of us but we have probably met without you even realising it. We are home to the UK and Ireland's most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to our regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, Chronicle Live, YorkshireLive and Manchester Evening News (plus lots more), our brands and the stories we cover are as varied as our people. We help all kinds of people share experiences through our stories because we believe this is what makes us human. Oh, and we should probably also mention that with a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too. Here at Reach, we strongly believe in the benefits of flexible working, work/life balance and autonomy in our day to day jobs.
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- 25 days holiday per annum
- Contributory pension scheme
- Holiday purchase scheme
- Free wellbeing apps and coaching support
- and lots of high street discounts!
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.