Durham Professional Services is delighted to be working in partnership with our client to recruit an Accountant. Located in the beautiful town of Dumfries, in the south west of Scotland, this role will appeal to candidates located close to Dumfries or those of us who have moved away but would desire a return to the region. The role is a permanent one and will require candidates to be based onsite when allowed to do so. Until then the role will be WFH
The role of Accountant will provide specialist service support for changing requirements, support for all aspects of our clients' finance systems, and act as a finance business partner.
Key Duties of the Role
This role will: -
- Assist in monthly duties including production of management accounts and forecasts, including budget reviews and key variance analysis.
- Support cross-college managers with financial aspects of decision-making, operational planning and budget setting, results and performance.
- Providing training and support to non-finance staff on financial procedures and systems as required.
- Support the Head of Finance with production of annual financial statements, statutory reports, grant claims and audit processes.
- Provide adhoc support to cross-college teams as required, which may include payroll reporting, FOI requests, Statutory returns and other ad-hoc tasks as identified
- Prepare grant claims and reports on activities as required for grant-funding bodies.
- Contribute to the continual improvement of the financial management of the client.
- Attend appropriate working groups or meetings as required.
Key Skills Required
This post is based in the Finance team, reporting to the Head of Finance, it will be involved in budget setting and monitoring, including project reporting, financial management and continual improvement of processes.
Further skills required include:-
- Working towards Chartered membership of finance or accountancy professional body, or qualified by experience
- Management accounting experience and knowledge of month-end procedures
- Advanced Excel skills
- Experience of working with multiple departments with competing financial demands
- A knowledge of Public Sector finance would be beneficial
This is a wonderful opportunity to take on a rewarding role in an idyllic location.
For more details on this role please send your CV to (see below) or call.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships."