UAV Software Engineer
Job Title: UAV Software Engineer Location: Bristol SF33201
Make a real impact, immediately
Babcock Defence Systems Technology (DST) has an enviable reputation for fostering partnerships and innovation, and delivering technological advantage to an array of global customers. We are building on these strengths with the creation of an innovation hub which will be at the forefront of our contribution to ensure DST remains at the forefront of defense and security innovation. The Technology, Design and Innovation (TDI) team will be built from a diverse mix of skillsets, backgrounds and experiences; highly motivated people who are driven by the prospect of working with industry leading technology in a challenging, agile and forward looking environment. A dynamic bench of professionals comprising both permanent and secondee positions, TDI will adapt to bring fresh thinking to growth opportunities, develop new capabilities and put innovation at the centre of DST growth moving forward.
We are at the beginning of the TDI journey and are looking to appoint Unmanned Aerial Vehicle software engineer to the team.
Who we're looking for
We are looking for a practical, hands on UAV software engineer. Highly motivated and with a passion for engineering as you will be at the forefront of our systems development activities. You'll need an inquisitive mind, the ability to think on your feet and problem solve in order to create unique solutions to difficulty problems. You'll need to be adaptable, able to work in an environment where deadlines change have the ability to work at pace to turn ideas into reality
What do I need to do the role?
* Knowledge and previous experience of C and C++
* Understand limitations of programming languages and when you may want to use others or mix languages
* Knowledge of cyber security; both on-board and off board the air vehicle, including the positioning of firewalls and encryption and impact of approaches taken
* Experience with software development methodology, and how this ensures error free scripting
* Experience with Linux, including system hardening and other proprietary operating systems
* Experience with compiling software for different operating systems, how to identify errors.
* Knowledge of cybersecurity for command and control, including different IP networking, encryption and authentication
* Experience with quality control tooling on a large code base, including also testing levels, version and release control.
* Experience working to regulatory approvals (CAA, STANAGs, DEF STAN, MAA)
* Great communication skills enabling you to quickly build trust and rapport at all levels
* Ability to articulate concepts to non-technically minded people
*Hands on systems prototyping and experimentation ability
What else do I need to know?
* All applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK and be subject to satisfactory security clearance which includes 3 years reference checks. Verification of any qualifications/passport/licences must be shown at interview stage. * We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview
If you are currently employed by Babcock/Cavendish Nuclear please let your line manager know that you're applying for this vacancy. You should also let them know if you are attending an interview or assessment for a role.
Please note that you will not be able to access the vacancy details after the closing date so you may wish to keep a copy of this advert and any supporting documents for your records.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.