Project Delivery Professionals
Project Delivery Professionals
Do you want to be a part of something big? Are you interested in Defence? Have you considered a Civil Service career and the unparalleled career opportunities it has to offer in a variety of significant roles with the potential to change the nation and people’s lives for the better? If so, the Army has a number of exciting Civil Service opportunities that may be right for you as part of the wider Government Project Delivery Profession. (Project Delivery is the UK Government’s function for project, programme and portfolio management (P3M).) We are looking for talented, experienced and motivated Project Delivery professionals to join us and lead in the delivery of several strategic programmes in the Army's Portfolio. These programmes deliver change in equipment, infrastructure, personnel, information and business change. These roles offer the opportunity to develop Programme and Project Management skills, knowledge and expertise in a challenging yet supportive environment. The Army intends to manage Project Delivery skilled staff on a flexible basis to ensure that programmes have the talent required to deliver outputs and maximise opportunities in support of skills development and wider career pathways. Successful applicants may therefore be redeployed flexibly within the portfolio as priorities change and programmes start and stop.
This position is advertised at 37 hours per week.
The start date for successful applicants will be 1st April 2021 or after.
The majority of these roles will be based at Army HQ in Andover, however a few of the roles are based in Upavon, Warminster and Pirbright. Location preference can be discussed at interview.
About the role:
The level at which you are expected to support or lead on each area will be dependent on your grade (C1/SEO or C2/HEO).
You will support your programme/ project team or act as the focal point for Portfolio, Programme and Project Management for key strategic programmes within the Army's Change Portfolio.
The roles available will involve enabling the delivery of a project or programme and include (but are not limited to) the following:
Planning and Scheduling: Ensure/ assist in ensuring systems are in place to enable effective planning and scheduling using Microsoft Project Online, in accordance with professional P3M standards.
Monitoring & Reporting: Manage project/programme controls, reporting to Project/ Programme Managers and Senior Responsible Owners on the status. Developing programme performance reports.
Resources: Lead/support on identifying, developing and acquiring resources. Manage workforce planning, providing information for effective decision making to Project/ Programme Managers.
Stakeholder: Engagement Manage and engage with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders in accordance with professional P3M standards.
Risks and Issues: Identifying/supporting, monitoring and managing risks and issues and developing mitigation strategies. Identifying and working with related workstreams to manage dependencies.
Administration: (Higher Executive Officer) Ensure organisational tasks are carried out efficiently. Monitor compliance of the project/programme with Departmental Security, Health & Safety, Equality & Diversity, Business Continuity and Business Planning.
Line Management: (Senior Executive Officer) posts are likely to have Line Management responsibilities.
Project and programme delivery at the Army generally involves the management and coordination of projects and programmes with a large number of activities completed offsite by the Defence Enabling Organisations.
You will be assessed against the following essential criteria during the selection process. The proficiency required depends on the grade applied for.
1. Ability to establish protocols to manage, record and evaluate requests that could alter the scope of a project/ programme.
2. Knowledge of how to identify, share and promote best practices and lessons learned to create a culture of learning and good practice that supports continuous improvement to optimise project/programme delivery.
3. Knowledge of defining roles, responsibilities and accountability. Experience of delivering projects/ programmes within agreed time, cost and quality constraints. Understanding of project management frameworks and methodologies.
4. Familiarity in developing relationships with others both internal and external to the organisation. Using appropriate channels of communication and adapting styles to ensure stakeholders are engaged
5. Ability to identify and monitor risks and issues, planning how to mitigate/respond to those risks and issues and implementing the responses.
6. Experience of defining the fundamental components of a project/programme in terms of its scope, deliverables, time scales, resource requirements and budget. In addition, the ability to develop, produce and maintain schedules noting the dependencies, requirements and constraints at each stage of the project lifecycle.
Please note alongside the aforementioned, those who are applying for an SEO position will also have to support team capability and ensure that team members are engaged in their work.
· An Association of Project Management (APM) Project Management Qualification (PMQ) (formerly known as the APMP)
· Managing Successful Programmes (MSP) Qualification
· PRINCE2® Practitioner Qualification
This person specification has been derived from the UK Government Project Delivery Capability Framework. For further information please see pages: 22-24 & 186-189.
The recruitment process will consist of an online application, online tests, statement of suitability, CV submission and an interview, where applicants will be asked to open with a 5min presentation.
Please complete all of the above, including the online tests, in advance of the deadline.
A live Q&A session via Microsoft Teams will take place on Wednesday 25th November 1230-1330hrs and Thursday 3rd December 1230-1330hrs for you to virtually meet with representatives from the Army Project Delivery community and ask questions about the roles. Details for this session are below:
Microsoft Teams meeting
Join on your computer or mobile app Click here to join the meeting
Or call in (audio only) +44 20 3443 8728,,447606735# United Kingdom, London
Phone Conference ID: 447 606 735# Find a local number | Reset PIN Learn More | Meeting options
Application: You will need to provide a statement of suitability (no longer than 750 words) highlighting what attracts you to the role and clearly evidencing (with examples) how your skills, knowledge and experience meet the essential criteria in the person specification. You will also be asked to provide a CV (no more than 2-pages). Interview: Interviews will take place via phone/video due to current COVID-19 restrictions. The information required to access and participate in the telephone interview will be shared in advance.
At interview you will be required to provide a 5-minute presentation (without the use of visual aids) on yourself and your relevant work experiences. You will then have a 40-minute interview which will assess your experience against the essential criteria as well as the following behaviours:
• Leadership • Working together
Indicative dates for application sifts: Monday 7th – Friday 18th December 2020
Indicative dates for interview: Monday 11th – Friday 29th January 2021
We are passionate about delivering great things for our people. But we also know you will have a life outside of work; we respect your priorities and are committed to flexible working practices to give you freedom to balance work and life. We employ talented people who challenge and guide each other. You will work within a highly capable team who will support you to develop your skills, knowledge and experience. Some of the many benefits you will receive include:
· A broad range of Learning and Development opportunities for professional and personal development of skills
· Flexible working practices
· A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
· 25 days paid annual leave rising (1 day per year) to 30 days upon completion of 5 years’ service
· In addition to 8 public holidays per year you will also receive leave for HM The Queen’s birthday
· Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave
· Opportunities to undertake apprenticeships
· Highly competitive pension scheme
· On-site Gym facilities Further information on the benefits available can be found here: https://discovermybenefits.mod.gov.uk/
Job Reference Numbers: HEO grade - 81804, SEO grade- 81797
Salary: HEO starting salary: £32,425, SEO starting salary: £40,000*
Closing date: Sunday 6th December at 23:55
For more information and applications please visit (and enter the reference numbers): https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk
Only applications received through Civil service Jobs will be reviewed.
*salaries are non-negotiable