Reporter - Manchester Evening News (MyWigan)
Do you want to work in one of the country's most vibrant newsrooms covering a really busy patch? We are already the largest regional website in the country with a huge audience but we want to get even bigger. We have recently launched a new brand on the Manchester Evening News website called MyWigan. It follows the successful launch of MyBolton, MyBury and MySalford. We now want to increase the size of the team and we are looking for a journalist who loves a good story to get stuck into the patch. You should have excellent storytelling techniques, superb social media skills, and a deep understanding of how to make content engaging.
We are looking for a reporter to create compelling content from Wigan. You will bring in stories and - critical to this role - build a social community around your content to ensure it reaches as many people as possible. This is not just about creating brilliant content, it's about growing your own audience and influence within that community.
The successful candidate will work for the Manchester Evening News and will be expected to:
- Find their own stories, make contacts and work a patch
- Cover breaking news using all the tools at the disposal of a journalist working in a digital newsroom
- Understand how to identify the stories that people from this area want to read
- Be able to tell stories in a clear and accurate way
- Provide quality content to tight deadlines
- Have a good understanding of how to use social media to spot stories and identify relevant trending content
- Understand the need to build an audience round your content to help it reach the people it is created for
- Understand the value of analytics to inform content decisions
- Maintain the highest personal standards of professionalism and integrity at all times within the framework of current legislation and Reach PLC's editorial and company policies
- Maintain a thorough, up-to-date knowledge of media law and IPSO code
Who are we looking for?
- Reach PLC or equivalent journalist qualification (or relevant time-served experience).
- A strong storyteller with a thorough understanding of how to create engaging content
- A skilled user of social media to engage audiences, source ideas and share content
- Great communication skills and the ability to build a strong network of contacts
- Excellent storytelling skills
- Be willing to be flexible in terms of shifts
- A good understanding of SEO
- Ability to work well under deadline pressure
- A team player, willing to work flexibly
- Lots of energy, enthusiasm and self-motivation
- Full driving licence.
What can we offer you?
We are offering a competitive salary and benefits including;
- 25 days holiday per annum
- Contributory pension scheme
- Holiday purchase scheme
- and lots of high street discounts!
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.