HORRINGTON PRIMARY SCHOOL
About HORRINGTON PRIMARY SCHOOL
The building still exists as a private house but HMI severely criticised the state of the premises in 1885 and 1891. On 21st April 1897 the school was officially opened on its current site.
The school was intended to cater for 80 pupils but numbers reached the magic 100 on June 14th 1904!
Horrington Primary Today
Horrington Primary School was established on its present site over one hundred years ago in 1896. Our children aged 4+ to 11 years come from the villages of East, West and South Horrington, surrounding hamlets and from Wells. The school gained Academy Status in May 2013. There are around 130 children on roll.
Horrington Primary is very proud of its small village school ethos and of its important role in the life of the community. The school is privileged to have an immense amount of parental support in all aspects of its work.
The school has a rural setting overlooking the beautiful Mendip countryside. There are five classrooms, two of which are presently Elliot classrooms. The main building includes one classroom, two purpose built classrooms and the school hall. The school offices, staff room and pre-school rooms are in the School House. The school has a large playground, playing field, an early years’ play area with playhouse and an adventure playground.
Most importantly though, it is the people in our school and the people supporting our school which makes it a secure, caring and happy learning environment for all our children.