Head of Financial Reporting
The Group Finance team
The Group Finance team is responsible for planning, implementing, managing and controlling all financial-related activities for the business in a way that supports delivery of the business strategy. Guided by our values, the team will provide an excellent business partnering service to our senior leaders that will help them to meet and exceed the needs of our customers. We have a big challenge ahead of us to do this and the Group Finance team, working really closely with the business, will play a critical role and bring expertise to shape, and ultimately ensure, we achieve our purpose and deliver our vision. Working in conjunction with the Groups business units, the role allows significant exposure across the Group. The role is therefore dynamic and capable of being stretched by the right applicant with an appetite to work proactively.
The Head of Financial Reporting will be a key member of the Group Finance team. They will perform a key role in transforming the Group in line with the wider business strategy and vision. They will be responsible for all aspects of financial reporting including: responsibility of oversight of the preparation of the Groups consolidated annual report and trading subsidiary accounts including financial and non-financial information; and ownership of technical accounting matters.
Examples of what you will be doing:
- External financial reporting:
- ownership of the Group half-year and year-end financial statements and preparation of the finance sections of the Annual Report;
- project management of the full annual report process (including non-financial data);
- preparation of subsidiary statutory financial statements; and
- other mandatory reporting for listed entity and large companies within the Group.
- Internal reporting: review of complex or high value Group journal entries and outputs (including input to the CFO report) and work closely with the Head of Reporting and Controlling to monitor and improve month on month financial information
- Technical accounting, including: ensuring the Group financial statements are in compliance with requirements, preparation of the judgemental accounting items and reporting papers for consideration by the Audit and Risk Committee, technical oversight of the statutory financial statements;
- Maintain and develop group accounting policies and related documentation;
- Effective team leadership: demonstrate leadership in business as usual, providing financial support and training to local Financial Controllers and wider finance teams in technical or other areas as appropriate;
- Analysis of complex accounting transactions, acquisitions and corporate reorganizations;
- Key point of contact for the external auditors and ensuring the facilitation of the Group external audit.
- Provide recommendations on process improvement initiatives;
- Report on activities to senior management and the audit committee;
- Prepare narrative and financial analysis and related disclosures for the quarterly, half year and full year financial statements, including preparation of high quality presentations for external performance and agenda communication, including to investors and analysts;
- Prepare ad hoc financial analysis required to support results, other external investor presentations and internal board reporting;
- Pro-active review of new accounting pronouncements and other corporate reporting and regulatory developments;
- Assist or lead on performing ad hoc project work including group acquisition accounting, refinancing, etc.
- Assist in the development of the Groups reporting capability, specifically to drive best practice across the Group for all external financial reporting and to provide commercial financial challenge and business analysis, including ongoing competitor analysis;
- Work closely with other members of the Group Finance Team to ensure a consistent approach is taken to ensure compliance and control in relation to financial activities (notably performance measurement and reporting) at all times that is aligned with the Group strategy and values and integrity of reporting systems for financial and non-financial data;
- Work in partnership with Finance Directors and their teams to identify synergies and share best practice, skills, insights and feedback to enhance effective, consistent delivery of financial reporting activities to the business
Examples of how you will do your job:
You will bring all aspects of our values to life: Personal, Responsible, Straightforward and Passionate:
- Responsible - you will lead our businesses by example in putting the customer at the heart of all people approaches and services; demonstrating a strong sense of ethics in doing the right thing
- Straightforward - your communication uses everyday language that takes the complex and makes it easier and relevant for our people to understand
- Personal and authentic - you will create your own personal brand, being approachable to our people and leaders
- Visible -you will be recognised as a leader across Group; as an expert in providing finance support to projects
- Infectious Energy -the way you go about carrying out your role, with passion, energy, and determination to make a difference, will inspire others. The little bit of difference that you make to colleagues each day will be bring a massive difference to whole business
Examples of how you will know you are doing a great job:
- Internal and external messaging of the business financial results is supported by high quality insight and analysis, including benchmarking in the context of peers performance
- Excellent feedback from the Chief Financial Officer, the divisional Finance Directors and Managing directors
- Valued and integrated member of the Group Finance team
- Positive feedback from divisional financial controllers and Head Office functions in terms of support, also evidenced by proactive communications and consultations from them
Experience you have that will set you up for success:
- Strong technical knowledge of financial accounting under IFRS and UK plc reporting requirements
- Keen attention to detail with a clear understanding of and commitment to robust data integrity and reconciliation
- Strong analytical and communication skills with experience of influencing senior managers, whilst also skilfully coaching and guiding others through complex and challenging financial issues
- Ability to communicate financial information effectively, to both finance and non-finance colleagues and keep stakeholders engaged on execution
- You will be motivated and enjoy working autonomously and have effective project management skills to ensure deadlines and conflicting priorities are managed
- You will also enjoy working as part of an open and friendly team, with demonstrable experience of commitment to delivery of wider team goals and getting hands-on under pressure
- You will have thrived in dynamic environments, challenging the status quo and driving genuine change and improvements across businesses
Other helpful things to know:
- This role reports to the Group Financial Controller
- This role will be based in Chelmsford, with regular travel to London (Aldgate) and Milton Keynes to liaise with the finance teams.
- You will be a fully qualified ACA with first time passes and at least five years post qualification. A background in a Big 4 accounting services firm would be advantageous including exposure to plc financial statements and associated reporting requirements, or equivalent experience in industry.
- Must be computer literate with strong excel skills, have some experience of general ledger systems and the abiility to learn new systems. Experience of TM1 desired and experience of Access Dimensions and Thomson Reuters One Source (accounts preparation and iXBRL submission tools) would be advantageous
- You will have working relationships with: Chief Financial Officer, the Group Finance team, all business unit MDs/FDs and their finance teams and other enabling teams eg company secretarial, reward and communications team for annual report production