Waking Night Support Worker
Waking Night Support Worker
Department: Personal Support
Opportunity Type: Paid
Salary Details: £16,250 per annum (pro rata) + excellent benefits
Advertising End Date: 17th May 2019
Vacancy Type: Permanent
Hours Per Week: 11
At Mencap we work in partnership with people with a learning disability. We do this by providing high-quality, flexible services that support people, including young adults, to live as independently as possible in their own homes and in the community.
Everyone wants a purposeful job - to do something really meaningful. At Mencap, we can give you that. You’ll have opportunities to develop as a person, colleague, leader and activist.
You’ll make new friends and feel inspired to reach your potential. We’ll ask a lot of you - but you’ll get back so much more. With us, it’s never ‘just a job’.
Are you a night owl? Are you someone who is vigilant, conscientious and attentive?
We are looking for a Waking Night Support Worker to join our dedicated team of Support Workers. We are currently supporting a gentleman with learning disabilities in his apartment in the picturesque South Devon countryside town of Totnes.
The gentleman you will be supporting is someone who really likes his environment just as he wants it. If there are things in the ‘wrong’ place, he will let you know about it! He really likes to smile and chuckle to himself and will sometimes even ‘bunny hop’ to show you how happy he is. He gets a lot of pleasure from his swimming sessions at the hydrotherapy pool, and goes up to three times a week!
Some of his favourite indoor activities include sensory activities, watching television or DVDs and watching staff cook, especially if they are cooking his favourite and it smells nice! He likes to be included in what you are doing and for you to be engaging and to closely support him with his health needs and dietary requirements. As well as the team that support him, his family are very important and he enjoys visiting them at home or going out for lunch with them and getting cards and gifts to mark special occasions.
As well as the above, he needs support with his mobility (he uses equipment such as a wheelchair, handling belt and rollator depending on the activity and environment) and personal care support.
This role could be full or part time and waking night shifts are 21.00 - 08.00.
If you would like to help support this friendly and sociable gentleman to live life to the fullest then, please apply and tell us why you would be a fantastic match. We seek to include the people that you will support during all of our selection process and we take a person centred approach to recruitment.
SOU1 Job reference 16163
As well as knowing that what we do is making a positive difference to people’s lives, you will receive fair pay and have access to a wide range of rewards and benefits as one of our employees.
- 28 days holiday (including bank holidays) increasing to 35 days with long service plus the ability to buy up to another 10 days via our HolidayPlus scheme
- Service related sick pay when 6 month probation is completed
- Pension contributions into NEST Scheme on a salary sacrifice basis meaning NI savings
- Death in service life cover for a nominated beneficiary under our life assurance scheme
- Loans for debt consolidation,bikes, computers and phones when you have been with us for 6 months
- Interest free season ticket loans
- Discounts and cashback from 3% to 30% at high street shops including major super markets, cinemas, gyms, leisure/theme parks, holidays and much more via Mencapextras
- Opportunity to purchase a health cash plan to claim towards dental, glasses, therapy etc.
- Free access to round the clock employee assistance program for advice and support
- Quarterly award scheme and recognition at every 5 years through our YouRock program
- Access to award winning training and development
*T&C's apply based on contract
Click below for further information about the position and to apply!