Kent Live is looking for a creative, motivated and ambitious newly qualified reporter to join the team in Sandwich.
Would you be just as comfortable covering court and inquests, heading out to voxpop local people about the effects of Brexit in one of our coastal towns, writing a review of a new restaurant, or pulling together a listicle on what makes our county so great?
Kent Live covers the commuter towns in the west of the county, the areas bordering London to the north, and the coastal areas in the east. Above all, you'll be covering Kent - a huge and varied area.
The successful candidate will write content for Kent Live, with their stories also appearing in the Kent and Sussex Courier, Dover Express, Folkestone Herald, Sevenoaks Chronicle, and the Isle of Thanet Gazette.
We are looking for someone who works quickly and accurately under pressure, is able to bring in their own stories and is determined to make a name for themselves in the industry.
This is an exciting opportunity where you would be joining a newsroom full of talented, self-driven journalists. Our reporters work as part of a tight-knit team and are encouraged to be creative and also to head out of the office whenever possible.
The successful candidate will work a four day compressed week and will progress to a potential senior multimedia journalist role over an 18-month period.
- Deliver high quality, thoroughly researched, accurate and well-written multimedia content
- Write content in a way which engages and drives digital audience
- Provide live coverage of news events for live blogs and broadcast
- Shoot video, audio and take pictures when out on jobs
- Source third-party and social content
- Use search analytics to identify digital audience and content trends
- Build strong contacts for story gathering within local communities
- Be adept on social media to build audiences and communities and ensure that content is shared on social platforms
- Taking responsibility for a content theme such as a geographic area, campaign or other area of interest, as directed
The Ideal Candidate
- An NCTJ-accredited journalism qualification is desired but not essential
- Up to date IPSO and legal knowledge
- Understanding of all the storytelling requirements of a digital newsroom including SEO and social media
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Brilliant ideas for engaging and shareable content
- Some experience shooting and editing video
- Shorthand at 100 wpm is desired
- Full driving licence
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days annual leave (plus bank holidays), a quarterly bonus structure and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc has a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include holiday purchase scheme, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts! Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
We are committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application. Please note that we reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the application deadline/closing date once a sufficient number of applications have been received.