Mechanical Project Manager
Vacancy Reference: AMK-BRI-KS-1209
Job Title: Mechanical Project Manager
Job Type: Full-Time; Permanent
Benefits: 34 days holiday; Pension; BUPA Healthcare; Performance-related Bonus; Company vehicle / Car Allowance
Servest Arthur McKay is a leading M&E projects specialist. With nearly 60 years of experience in this field, focus has been to continually offer a leading M&E service portfolio. This portfolio now spans heating, ventilation, air-conditioning, plumbing, lighting, power, communications and security. Our focus is to always safely complete M&E contracts to the highest possible quality, from small re-wires to major projects (ranging from just under 50k to a little over £20m).
Substantial growth has seen us open new offices in Bristol and we have an exciting opportunity for an ambitious Mechanical Project Manager to lead our new team within our Projects Department.
Reporting to the Operations Director, the role will involve working with the client, operations teams, Operations Manager / Director and associated support functions to ensure that each project is delivered in accordance with the Project Plan - safely, on time, within budget and to the required quality standards.
This is a broad-ranging role which will see the Project Manager responsible for delivering design and build projects in liaison with internal and external design consultants; project planning; client liaison; team and resource management and ensuring rigorous financial control.
We are seeking highly competent Project Managers with demonstrable experience of successfully managing multi-discipline projects. Suitable candidates will require a background in Mechanical Engineering with relevant occupational competencies and technical certification. Our preference is for candidates with a working knowledge of Microsoft Project, CDM awareness and a relevant subject-specific qualification in construction or project management. Individuals with a PRINCE 2 qualification are highly desirable.
Primary duties and responsibilities, include but are not limited to:
- Ensuring that projects are delivered to the correct specifications and required quality / industry standards and within budget
- Delivering design and build projects in collaboration with design consultants, the wider project team and contractors
- Team management, to include: Leading and motivating the team; ensuring adequate team training / level of qualification; Undertaking HR people-related process, including performance review; ensuring compliance to all personnel policies and procedures
- Client liaison, to include: Working closely with the client counterparts and their agents throughout the lifecycle of the project; Conducting continuous improvement activities in line with the client's requirements, implementing corrective / preventative action where required; Implementing opportunities for innovative cost reductions; Ensuring that communication with the client is established and maintained throughout the life of each project; Meeting or exceeding client KPI's for each project
- Project management, planning and organising to include: Planning work in a way which ensures that key milestones and completion dates are achieved; Setting up strategic planning controls covering the full scope of works for all disciplines including the procurement programme, technical proposals, construction method appraisal, value enhancement and risk analysis controls, tender event schedules, design management strategy, project planning and Project Management systems
- Monitoring and reviewing project requirements / achievements
- Identifying issues which may impact on project delivery and escalating these as necessary
- Undertaking an assessment of all risks relating to health, safety, environment and quality of product
- Regularly reviewing the Project Management Plan and contractors' methods of work to ensure they remain suitable for the task
- Completing snagging and updating clients on progress and monitoring works to ensure compliance with agreed systems of work
- Ensuring suitable Commissioning, Inspection and Test Plans are in place for all work carried out
- Commercial & financial controls to include: Accurately predicting cost to completion; Financial management within agreed budgets and targets to ensure agreed margins; Managing WIP and producing accurate commercial forecasting
- Collaborative teamworking, to include: Working closely with the Operations Manager, Quantity Surveyor, Design Team and Procurement Team to develop the procurement, cost, design and project management plans; Effective cascade of safety, health, sustainability or quality communications received through Team Talks, Briefings or bulletins to the project team
- Resource Management, to include: Ensuring an efficient flow of materials to all projects; Ensuring optimum labour on site at all times, utilising agency labour where required; Managing staff to maximise efficiencies; Controlling supply chain partners, including sub-contractors and recruitment agencies; Managing internal supply chain / support services where required Managing plant off-hires
- Health & Safety responsibilities, to include: Ensuring all employees / sub-contractors are aware of their obligations under the Servest Arthur McKay Health & Safety Policy, and that work is carried out in accordance with the policies; Ensuring risk assessments and method statements are completed where required and that toolbox talks take place on all projects; Ensuring that all health, safety and environmental incidents and complaints are reported and investigated and that action points arising from site safety surveys, audits, accident reports and other recommendations are successfully closed off
Suitable candidates will demonstrate the following experience and qualifications:
- Mandatory experience of successfully managing multi-discipline projects
- Mechanical background with relevant technical Board of Trade Certificate of Competency
- PC literate with a working knowledge of Microsoft with emphasis on Word & Excel
- Completion of 5-day Site Managers Safety course
- Full driving licence with no more than 3 penalty points
- Experience of managing / reporting on WIP
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Project HNC Construction / Project Management or PRINCE 2 Qualification / CDM Awareness
We are keen to hear from candidates with the following personal attributes:
- Effective managerial skills, including the ability to lead and motivate a team
- Client-focused and professional with the requisite skills to establish and maintain effective relationships
- A self-motivated individual with the ability to work on their own initiative and achieve stretching targets
- A true team player with the ability to work calmly and efficiently in a pressurised environment
- Deadline driven and goal-orientated with strong commercial awareness
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Based out of our new offices in the Warmley area of Bristol, the Mechanical Project Manager will split their time between being office and field-based. The geographical remit will include clients based throughout Wales, the Midlands and the South West.
Core working hours for this position are from 8am until 5pm, Monday to Friday. However, flexibility will be required to meet the need
Apply for Mechanical Project Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly