Paralegal / Litigation Assistant / Legal Executive
Job Title: Paralegal
Salary: Negotiable, as agreed with candidate
Department: Litigation (although if the role develops into a trainee solicitor position there will be the opportunity to work in other departments)
Position: Permanent position with a view to a possible trainee solicitor role
Closing Date: Thursday 5th October 2017
You support the director in providing legal services to their clients and in the efficient running of the litigation department. This will involve dealing with clients, handling files, researching the law, reading and preparing documentation and administrative/clerical duties. There may also be a requirement to assist fee earners in other departments.
- Assisting the director in taking instructions from new clients and after a suitable period meeting new and existing clients alone
- Opening files and obtaining initial client documentation
- Reviewing documents from clients and reporting suitably to the director
- Assisting the director in dealing with client matters and after suitable training having own client portfolio
- Assisting the director, and support staff, in the compilation of bundles
- Undertaking legal research as directed by the director and reporting accordingly
- Dealing with clients on the telephone and in correspondence. Typing relevant notes and emails/letters.
- After suitable training to attend court
- To refer to the director, and other fee earners, matters outside your own level of expertise and/or knowledge
- To fully comply with the rules of The Law Society/Solicitors Regulation Authority and with your responsibilities as a Paralegal.
- To fully comply with LSC franchise standards, Lexcel, Investors in People and any other quality standards to which the company may commit.
- To give precise instructions to support staff and others.
- To assist the director in developing the department.
- To market the company's full range of legal services and refer work to appropriate colleagues.
- To assist in maintaining control of unpaid bills and disbursements.
- To identify and meet your own training needs. To develop both your legal and management skills.
- To treat all partners, staff, clients and others with respect and without discrimination or harassment.
Qualifications and Experience
- Graduate Level qualification is essential but a Law Degree is desirable.
- No formal legal experience required as training will be given but some legal work experience would be an advantage but is not essential.
- Excellent written and oral skills.
- Ability to empathise with people from different backgrounds.
- Organisational skills.
- Pleasant and positive manner in dealing with clients and colleagues.
- Confident and articulate.
- Reacts well when under pressure.
The above list is not intended to be exhaustive. There is a need for flexibility in the type of duties you perform and those duties that you may be needed to perform (to cover for absent colleagues, for example). Notwithstanding this need for flexibility it is the policy of the Firm not to expect staff to undertake specific tasks for which they have not been adequately trained. All job descriptions will be periodically reviewed with post-holder, usually at annual appraisal.
Please click on the APPLY now button to send your CV and Cover Letter for this role.
Candidates with the experience or relevant job titles of; Legal Graduate, Law Graduate, Graduate, Legal Assistant, Litigation Assistant, GDL, LPC, Costs Paralegal, Costs Litigation Assistant, Costs Draftsperson, Legal Executive, Legal Support Assistant, Law Graduate, Paralegal, Legal Assistant, Legal Executive, Legal Handler, Legal Secretary, Family Law Paralegal, Paralegal, Legal Aid will also be considered for this role.
Apply for Paralegal / Litigation Assistant / Legal Executive
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly