Animal Supplies Manager
Animal Supplies Manager
Permanent – Full Time
We are Chester Zoo, and for over 80 years we’ve been a leading conservation and education charity, and an amazing, award-winning visitor attraction.
We’re also a team of passionate, talented, enthusiastic and expert people, doing everything we can to keep the zoo going, from feeding the animals to discovering new conservation ideas, and giving our 1.9 million visitors an inspirational day out.
We work hard because we love animals, we care about nature, we love Chester Zoo and we want to be the best zoo in the world!
If you think you can help us to achieve that, then we’d love to hear from you.
We currently have a vacancy for the interesting and varied role of Animal Supplies Manager.
- To manage the Animal Supplies Department to ensure that it provides all foodstuffs, cleaning materials and a range of operational services, including waste disposal and browse collection, to our animal teams in an efficient and cost effective manner
- To ensure that the ASD facilities, vehicles and equipment are maintained and managed effectively
- To negotiate contracts with suppliers and to oversee the department’s stock control
- To implement and oversee a zoo wide pest control programme, including a long term strategy for the zoo
- To implement an effective grassland management plan for those parts of the zoo’s land retained for in-house food production
- To establish browse plantations as required
- To assist the Zoo’s Land Agents with tenant farmer liaison and other operational responsibilities
- To manage the departmental budget
The successful candidate will:
- Have strong negotiating and purchasing skills
- Previous experience of managing a team
- Have knowledge of every aspect of the food supply industry especially in relation to fresh produce
- A good understanding of systems of stock control and tracking
- Have practical knowledge of land management techniques and associated legislation
- Have a thorough understanding of the pest control industry and its associated technologies
- Have knowledge of waste management legislation
- Have knowledge of Health and Safety legislation
- Have knowledge of food industry related legislation
- Be computer literate & competent in the use of Microsoft Office
- Have excellent communication and organisational skills
Hours of work are 40 hours per week, worked 5 days out of 7 including weekends and Bank Holidays.
The salary for this role is £34,019.72 per annum and in addition we offer a range of amazing benefits which can be found on the Chester Zoo careers page.
To apply for this position, please click the ‘apply’ button on this page where you’ll be redirected to the vacancy on the Chester Zoo website. You will then be required to provide your current CV and complete the application form highlighting your skills and experience including why you believe you should be considered for this Animal Supplies Manager role.
Closing date for applications is Sunday 3rd September 2017
This Animal Supplies Manager vacancy is advertised by JVP Jobs on behalf of the employer Chester Zoo. Please note that JVP is an advertising company NOT a recruitment agency, therefore all applications will be reviewed directly by the employer Chester Zoo, and should they wish to progress your application further, they will be in contact with you.