Assay Office - Birmingham has an exciting opportunity for an Assistant Chemist to join our Laboratory team based in Birmingham. You will be on a full time permanent basis working 37 hours per week and receive a competitive salary.
Assay Office Birmingham was founded in 1773 to provide assaying (testing) and hallmarking of precious metal items (gold, silver, platinum and palladium) as required by the Hallmarking Act.
It has been a centre of expert opinion and independent assessment of jewellery and precious metals for nearly 250 years.
We are now looking for an Assistant Chemist to handle a large number of samples which may range from jewellery, toys, accessories right through to various types of precious and non-precious metals/ material, but this is not exhaustive.
Responsibilities of our Assistant Chemist
- Handle a vast majority of samples which may range through to various types of material from jewellery, toys, accessories ,medical materials, powder etc
- Preparing samples solutions and chemicals for instrumental analysis, dissasembling watches and jewellery samples for test prior to Ni release testing
- Preparation of flasks and artificial sweat solution, filtration & making up to volume, using the barreling machine, accurate measurement of solutions
- Assessment, physical measurement and calculation of surface area of samples being tested
- Determination of elements by ICP-OES and calculation of results
- Operating the XRF machine in order to analyse a variety of samples dependant on what test is required tests include sorting precious metal content, plating thickness determination, quality of plating etc , samples may range from heavy bars to small intricate pieces.
- Accurately using a balance and recording the weight of the samples being reviewed.
Skills needed to become our Assistant Chemist
The successful candidate must have experience using analytical techniques and instrumentation such as ICP. Cupellation/ Scorification knowledge would be an advantage. As would interpreting and checking data and reporting scientific results, assisting Senior Chemists/Technical Director in developing new analytical techniques for the analysis of precious and non-precious metals, including powders and catalysts.
- Excellent communication skills are required when liaising with Customers / Trading Standards authorities on technical, ‘due diligence’ and testing issues.
- We require a good team worker, with a ‘can-do’ attitude, who has the flexibility to work when called upon and the ability to work to tight deadlines
- The applicant needs to be skilled and possess both excellent laboratory practice and theoretical knowledge
- IT skills are essential as more analytical work is now undertaken using various IT systems
- Adhere to strict guidelines on documentation when recording data
- Good attention to detail when checking date and reporting scientific results, as well as balancing and recording the weight of samples
- Good communication skills when liaising with customers, staff and suppliers
- Ability to work in a fast moving environment and to challenging, tight deadlines. Routine analysis can involve doing the same job for long periods of time
- Must be aware of and keep up to date with Health and Safety issues in all aspects of the work undertaken
- Must have experience in ICP and working in a Laboratory environment. Qualifications minimal of a Chemistry degree.
Our Values: We aim to be the best!
Our Values are part of our DNA. They guide the way we work and behave with each other, our suppliers and our customers. Our values are; Passionate, Leaders, Accountable, Integrity and Teamwork. Through these values we can create a culture where ideas can blossom, people can thrive and contribute and success can flourish. At every opportunity, our behaviour will demonstrate a pride in our brands and heritage, a desire to consistently meet or exceed or customers’ expectations and to promote and fiercely protect our reputation.
If you feel you are the right candidate for the role as our Assistant Chemist then please click ‘apply’ now! We’d love to hear from you!
Apply for Assistant Chemist
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly