Cell Engineering Scientist
Oxford Genetics, a leader in synthetic biology, is a specialised contract research organisation offering services to support the discovery, development and production of biologics, with a particular focus on viral vectors for gene therapy applications. A unifying theme across the portfolio is expertise in DNA design, expression system optimisation, cell line development and engineering of viral delivery systems. We are located within purpose-fitted laboratories at the Oxford Science Park, just South of Oxford.
We are in a phase of rapid expansion and are seeking highly motivated and enthusiastic scientists and engineers to join the team and help facilitate the next stage of our development as a company. We aim to be both innovative and entrepreneurial in everything we do – join us and contribute to this exciting journey!
The Cell Engineering Scientist will be involved in a range of internal platform development and commercial projects, predominantly focused on expanding gene editing technologies and platforms at Oxford Genetics. OG has a number of on-going programmes in this area, and multiple government supported grant awards, which the recipient will contribute towards. Scientist colleagues are expected to drive and lead specific projects and areas of research from the bench, while providing support and training to technicians working in the group. The position will involve extensive interaction with both internal and external stakeholders, and the ability to show commitment to scientific development and innovation are considered essential.
• Work closely with internal and external stakeholders to define project goals and
deliverables, in line the planned project objectives
• To keep up to date with the scientific literature and developments in the field
• Set an example to other colleagues, and to train junior staff in appropriate techniques
• Provide project summaries and reporting, as required
• Promote and suggest implementation of new methods, technologies and processes to ensure best
• Support line manager with customer interactions, and in ensuring smooth running of the
• To adhere strictly to established quality standards, essential for on-going activities
• Provide accurate record keeping at all times
Minimum Qualifications Or Experience Needed:
• PhD or DPhil in biology, biochemistry or similar field, or MSc with extensive industry
experience (greater than 4 years)
• Experience working in a commercial or industry setting relevant to the role (greater than 2
Preferred Skills And Abilities:
• Standard mammalian cell culture techniques and methods for both adherent and suspension cell
• Production of stable mammalian cell lines
• Generation and engineering of viral vectors, including lentivirus, retrovirus and AAV
• Use of gene editing tools (including CRISPR) for cell engineering and screening purposes
• Flow cytometry and cell sorting
• Use of robotic liquid handling and automation systems
• An engineering mindset – good ability to utilize statistical approaches to optimize
processes and procedures
Job type: Permanent
Hours: Full Time
Salary: £28,000 – £38,000 per annum
Applicants must be eligible to work in the UK without sponsorship.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age
Please apply online for this Cell Engineering Scientist role with your CV and covering letter.
Please check your email for confirmation that your application has been received and to follow further instructions if applicable.