About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. With revenues of more than $12 billion, we have approximately 39,000 employees and serve customers within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies, as well as in environmental and process control industries. We create value for our key stakeholders through three premier brands, Thermo Scientific, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services, which offer a unique combination of continuous technology development and the most convenient purchasing options. Our products and services help accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, and solve analytical challenges ranging from complex research to routine testing to field applications.
Site Leader and Operations Director
Laboratory Product Group (LPG)
Laboratory Consumables Division (LCD)
Number of Direct Reports:
Day/Shift (if applicable):
Office Hours (37.5 hrs p.w.)
FLSA Status (Exempt/Non-Exempt):
N/A in UK
Promote a fully professional and ethical function within the purchasing environment by working in the full spirit of the company's long term purchasing policy and communicate any amendments. Provide a professional purchasing service to all departments and also assist with training other team members in company policies and procedures
Providing administrative support as deemed necessary to both the Planning and Material Planning Managers and to ensure purchase orders are in place to procure sufficient raw materials to manufacture finished products and factored materials in order to facilitate sales orders in a timely manner.
Support the efficient purchasing process by, creating purchase orders for raw materials and consumables for production process, from system generated requisitions and assisting in the administration of invoice queries and resolutions based on GRN notes via full liaison with the finance department, Warehouse & other departments.
Investigate, source, trial and negotiate new products in association with individual departments and company requirements to the satisfaction of the Material Planning Manager.
Embrace and live the Company’s 4-I values (Intensity, Integrity, Innovation & Involvement)
- Manage assigned vendors and material categories. Focus on identifying and driving value propositions for total cost reduction.
- Manage projects & stakeholders: Apply strong stakeholder and project management skills, to ensure ownership, results and deadlines are met for sourcing projects.
- Manage own and support other supplier relationships. Set up suppliers in ERP system. Suppliers must meet cost targets, payment terms, quality and delivery requirements to become and remain approved suppliers for the business unit. Resolve non-conformance quality issues where escalation is not required.
- Support supplier development and process improvement. Provide performance data & feedback to relevant suppliers. Contribute to evaluation of suppliers’ technologies and capabilities.
- Escalate supplier quality and performance issues to Senior Sourcing Leader as & when necessary.
- Develop and implement accurate standard costs and implement cost savings opportunities.
- Identify opportunities in overall cost reduction, to include price, value chain, and increased leverage/bargaining power of buying.
- Support new product development projects in achieving launch, revenue and profitable growth objectives.
- Support corporate and divisional sourcing initiatives through data provision, team participation, support or leadership. Implementation of corporate sourcing decisions/directives at site level.
- Maintain departmental records, metrics, files and information systems to insure efficiency and productivity in accordance with company policies. Maintain and validate accuracy of data in computer system and ARIBA spend data regarding purchased items, including supplier evaluation reports, contract documents and sourcing metrics.
- Negotiate and manage the trade-off between materials requirement planning/inventory level and economic order quantity
- Ensure continuous improvement of and compliance with sourcing related processes.
- Perform special assignments as required.
- Placing of orders for raw materials including packaging, bagged resins and caps. Packaging current spend in excess of £1000000, bagged resin spend £550000, cap spend £360000, factored goods from computer generated requisitions. Sundry (manually raised reqs currently input on system by reception)
- Arrange transport if required for factored goods and raw materials. Monitoring transport rates and carrier performance. Setting up arrangements between carrier and supplier. Current annual spend £100000+.
- Work with planning to place forward orders for factored goods monitoring past sales and current stocks. Current annual spend £1500000+. Expedite factored goods to ensure delivery on time for customer requirements.
- Liaise with customer services/Quality re questions on factored products or raw material components. Arrange copies of data sheets etc.
- Update customer services chase log.
- Supply reports to packaging suppliers for forthcoming weeks requirements.
- Arrange new packaging as per supplied specifications for new projects i.e. EBM, ISBM and Greiner. Access suitability (artwork approval). Confirm pricing.
- Keep current packaging up to date – Branding etc. Liaise with sales and marketing or customer for OEM packaging.
- Keep log of transport invoices ensuring they match completed shipments. Deal with invoice queries regarding pricing.
- Report transactions of swabs and glass for monthly SIOP report
- Deal with invoices for monthly transactions for vending machines. Approximate value £2500 per month. Report and deal with any issues regarding vending machines and MRO stores. Carry out administration tasks associated with both vending machines and MRO stores. Carry out training if and when required for both.
- Participate in audits carried out by BSI, customers and finance.
Possible UK travel
- Degree or Equivalent in Purchasing/Supply Chain
- Computer literate, proficient in the use of MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Working experience of purchasing using MRP systems in a manufacturing environment
- Self-motivated and able to work in fast moving environments
- Experience of 5S , lean manufacturing
Non-Negotiable Hiring Criteria:
- Degree or Equivalent in Purchasing/Supply Chain
- Suitable Experience in a Buyer role
- Working knowledge of MRP systems
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all employee responsibilities, duties and / or skills required of all personnel so classified.
Apply for Buyer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly