Shop Manager – Borehamwood Shop
4 days left
- Full Time
Shop Manager – Borehamwood Shop
£16,309.69 (starting salary is subject to experience)
Cats Protection is the UK’s leading feline welfare charity. We now help around 190,000 cats and kittens through our network of over 250 volunteer-run branches and 34 adoption centres and homing centres.
As Shop Manager for our new Borehamwood Shop, you will be responsible for managing all shop activities, aiming to achieve set targets and maximizing financial contribution to the charity.
- To oversee and manage all shop employees and volunteers and other activities in the shop
- To interview, train, manage effectively and monitor the performance of all employees, where applicable
- To implement Performance Management Review (PMR) systems for employees, where applicable
- To recruit, train and manage an effective team of volunteers in line with Cats Protection’s (CP) volunteer management best practice guidance
- To maintain the working rota and to update weekly, ensuring optimum cover
- To ensure the shop and working practices comply with Health & Safety Legislation and CP policies in this area
- To be responsible for the day-to-day running of the shop, ensuring it meets set down income and expenditure targets for CP
- To ensure that the shop is open for its set trading times, as agreed with the ARM
- To work with the local CP branch/Adoption Centre (where they exist) and local community to ensure sufficient stock is donated to the shop, in order to achieve the financial targets
- To take full and overall responsibility for donated goods and ensure proper presentation and merchandising to fullest potential, including:
- Sorting and steaming clothing
- Pricing and ticketing
- Regular rotation of stock
- Security of all donated goods
- To maximise returns from the Gift Aid scheme, ensuring it is operated to its full potential and within HMRC guidelines. This includes:
- Actively promoting the scheme via the shop and the shop team
- Meeting weekly targets for new sign ups to the scheme
- Ensuring back room processes prioritise Gift Aided goods
- Keeping the shop team informed and motivated about the scheme
- To ensure merchandising standards are met throughout the shop
- To implement the highest standards of customer care and service both personally and via the shop volunteer team
- To take responsibility for the delivery, security, accounting, merchandising and stock-taking of bought-in-goods
- To look for and implement new development opportunities for the shop on an ongoing basis
- To take full responsibility for the shop’s accounting procedures including cash reconciliation, daily banking and till procedures so as to ensure that correct transactions and cash handling procedures are adhered to at all times, and to report immediately any significant shortfalls to the ARM
- To take full responsibility for the inventory, security and maintenance of all equipment and fittings on the premises
- To be fully conversant with the use of the till in the shop and ensure the satisfactory completion of the daily till and banking procedures, both personally and through the shop team
- Where the shop is associated directly with a Branch or Adoption Centre, to maintain excellent communication and working relationships with local colleagues (paid and voluntary) including keeping informed of their work and attending committee meetings as required.
- Provide information to the public regarding CP and its work through advertising, participation in events, issuing neutering vouchers (where applicable), maintaining the CP brand and in other ways as appropriate, both personally and through the shop team
- To attend Shop meetings both regionally and nationally as required
- To be responsible for maintaining good levels of communication within the shop team
- To attend regular 1-1 meetings with the ARM to review progress
- Highly self-motivated, positive and resilient and who has previous retail and people management experience.
- A strong communicator with excellent organisational skills, you will have the ability to build and maintain positive working relationships with a variety of people and have good knowledge of the issues relating to recruiting and retaining volunteers.
- Candidates who have experience of working to income and expenditure targets are highly desirable as are those who have previously worked in the charity retail sector.
Closing Date: 22nd June 2017
Interview Date: TBC
To reward you we have a pay scheme which provides the opportunity to progress within your pay band, subject to satisfactory performance. We also offer a range of benefits which include a generous holiday entitlement, a competitive pension offering, a private medical scheme, and a death in service scheme.
*As a Shop Manager, starting at Pay Point 3 £16,309.69 per annum, you have the opportunity to increase your salary to Pay Point 4 £16,821.18 in Year 1 and to Pay Point 5 £17,332.68 in Year 2, subject to performance. *This is an illustration of how the salary of a new Shop Manager can increase over Years 1 and 2.
Cats Protection is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.