Mid-Level PHP Developer
Are you an enthusiastic PHP web developer with a strong understanding of Object-Oriented PHP? We have a motivated team who will be very grateful to you if you can solve their problems and implement their new ideas into our internal and external websites. You will find the work varied, challenging and rewarding - and always appreciated by the rest of the team! Tasks include the occasional large project, multiple mini-projects, adding new features to existing systems, and fixing bugs that have come to light. A notable amount of existing code is in ASP and legacy PHP and needs to be recoded in OOP PHP.
ZigZag Education is an independent educational publisher of photocopiable worksheets, workbooks, topic tests, practice exam papers and also digital resources for teachers of KS3, GCSE, A Level, BTEC, etc. There are approximately 50 of us across the team, developing products we believe in which support teachers and students. You may be our sole coder working under the direction of the Commissioning Editor and Head of Business Support.
We have a large amount of legacy code, but new projects will be written in PHP OOP e.g. using the NetBeans PHP IDE, the CodeIgniter MVC framework and the bootstrap framework for external websites.
We are looking for a dependable PHP developer to write logical, well-commented code and to build on and improve existing systems. Create robust bespoke systems to increase efficiency in the business. Create intuitive and fast user interfaces – for both internal staff and external customers. Balance the feedback of users with the requirements of your manager, and manage your workload to ensure an appropriate balance between time, quality and budget. You must also be willing to muck in with technical support although this isn't the main focus of the role. Work within a culture of good organisation and clear, timely reporting.
Minimum Application Requirement
- GCSE Maths grade B
- PHP programmer - either a very capable programming graduate or a mid-level developer with a minimum of 4 year's relevant industry experience including at least 18-months solid programming in PHP OOP
- Knowledge of the NetBeans PHP IDE and the CodeIgniter MVC and bootstrap frameworks, significant experience with SQL.
- Intermediate level of English Language.
Additional Desirable Attributes
- Experience with ASP
- Strong communication skills
- A Level grade A or B in Computing or a scientific/technical subject such as Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Economics or Latin
- Computing/Programming-related degree or equivalent
- Higher level of English Language
Starting pay depends on amount of formal relevant experience. There is the strong likelihood of further contracts being offered.